Product development is an ongoing process, especially when it comes to the high-tech gadgets that have become a part of our everyday lives. In that realm, it is innovate or die. Monoprice is one of those companies that refuses to leave well enough alone, and the High Performance Bluetooth NFC Speaker (10619) is evidence of that.
This retro-modern speaker looks like a mini boombox from the bygone era of mix tapes and Betamax but it is all 2014 on the inside. The High Performance Bluetooth NFC Speaker blends new technology with that which is tried and true and puts it all together in a package that would be at home in the middle of a Saarinen coffee table. Here’s what’s on the inside:
- Bluetooth 2.1 to connect to a wide variety of devices
- A2DP profile for stereo sound
- HFP Bluetooth profile for speakerphone
- Two 45mm full-range drivers for big sound
- Removable BL-5C rechargeable 1000mAh battery
- 3.5mm audio input for non-Bluetooth devices
- Near Field Communications (NFC) automatic Bluetooth proximity pairing
- Easy to identify control buttons
- Microphone for hands-free communication
- 32 foot (10 meters) range
Monoprice claims that the surprisingly small BL-5C battery will provide up to three hours of playback time which I have yet to verify. If that seems like far too little, that’s because it is. The BL-5C, however, is a very common, inexpensive battery (as low as $1.95), so you could have a couple charged and at the ready if you wanted to keep the music going for a long time. If you’ve ever had a Nokia phone, you may already be in possession of one of these batteries.
You will have to check back in a few weeks to see how the High Performance Bluetooth NFC Speaker and its little battery perform. For more information about Monoprice or this speaker, click here.