Dental hygiene and oral health is important in the care of your dog to prevent dental disease. Unfortunately, many pet owners will brush their own teeth daily but seem to forget its significance in the health of your pet. When it comes to canine dental disease, plaque and tartar builds up, the gums can get infected with bacteria, and the whole process can lead to further organs being affected in the body such as the kidneys, heart, intestinal tract and the joints. This can be avoided with the tools and techniques for brushing your dog’s teeth. The staff at your local Rockford-area Petsmart or Petco as listed below or one closest to your home can help you acquire everything you need to provide your dog proper dental hygiene.
Before proceeding with good canine oral care, be sure you never use human products such as toothpaste, mouthwash or any other oral products that you would use. You can find the appropriate vet-approved oral care products that are safe and effective for your pet’s healthy teeth and gums, such as –
- A small toothbrush or finger brush, appropriate for your pet’s size. Sometimes, a child’s toothbrush may be appropriate.
- Dental sponges or pads are also available to clean the teeth and gums but not as effective. They are good for quick, small in-between teeth-brushing jobs.
- A meat-flavored toothpaste or gel. You may need to try several flavors until you find one that your pet favors. These toothpastes and gels have special enzymes that prevent plaque from building up.
- Many special bones and treats are available for your dog’s chewing pleasure while helping to keep the teeth clean and free from plaque and tartar. These treats should never replace regular brushing but helps to keep the teeth and gums healthy and clean in between oral care.
- Feed your dog dry food as opposed to canned food. It is suggested that dry dog foods versus canned foods work better since canned foods cling to the teeth and gums, boosting plaque formation.
- A new water-pik-type dental system for dogs is also now available to help with pet oral health. Chlorhexidine is added to the water to kill bacteria in the mouth as the streams of water removes plaque. Some dogs may not be open to this process. It will take time to get it used to the streams of water and turn out to be fun for your dog once they get past the initial shock.
- Some natural herbal and homeopathic supplements are available which can help prevent gingivitis and tooth decay, along with improving canine dental health. Some of these supplements that you can check into for your dog are spirulina, horse tail, dandelion, silica (6c), calcium fluoride and calcium phosphate (6c). Speak with your veterinarian in regards to the use of these supplements and the benefits they may provide for good canine oral health.
As a pet owner, providing all its necessities for comfort and care, remember to also attain the oral care products significant in keeping your pet free from dental disease, halitosis and other conditions that can be avoided with preventatives.
If you are looking for wholesome, natural and homemade treats for your favorite canine best friend, Led foot’s Pet Bakery near the Rockford area is happy to meet your needs. Check out the website at Ledfoot Bakery. Contact Susan Weitzel at 815 784-6358, Ledfoot Bakery Contact.
If you are seeking Veterinary assistance in the Rockford area, you can check out one of these at - Rockford Vet Clinics, Bellwood Vet, Rockford Veterinarians, Perryville Veterinarian , Cat Veterinarians Specialists
For all your pets needs and accessories in the Rockford area, go to your local PETCO - 6305 East State Street, Rockford, IL 61108, (815) 229-0184 - Petco or your local PETSMART - 6320 East State Street, Rockford, IL 61108, (815) 397-7880 - Petsmart -Petland, (815) 332-4200 - Petland
For many of your pet essentials, visit your local Rockford-area CVS pharmacies. There are four convenient locations - 3134 11th Street, Rockford, IL 61109, (815)398-0048 - 110 S Alpine Rd, Rockford, IL 61108 - 3718 Main Street, Rockford, IL 61103, (815)877-9620 - 2454 S. Alpine Rd., Rockford, IL 61108, (815)399-5421 - CVS Pharmacy
Sign up for my pet blog and let me know if you have questions or concerns regarding your pets. Let me know what you think of my articles and if you have any queries. I have created a question and answer page for that reason. Let me know if I can be of help to you with your beloved pets – no question too large or small. Hope to see you at Animal Care Blog. Be the most educated pet parent!