The Nebraska Writers Guild (NWG) will bring its fall conference to Grand Island on October 1 and 2. It is one of two conferences the NWG holds each year. The Spring conference is held in eastern Nebraska, usually at Mahoney State Park near Ashland.
Speakers will include:
- NWG President Sally Walker, author of the novels Letting Go of Sacred Things (The Fiction Works, 2002) , and Desert Time (The Fiction Works, 2005) and many screenplays. She will speak on "Successfully Writing in Many Disciplines"
- Sherry Siwinski, founder and first president of Prairieland Romance Writers--a chapter of Romance Writers of America. Under the pseudonym Sherry James she has published more than 85 magazine and newspaper articles and is working on her sixth novel. She will speak on "Web Sites--The Best Bang for your Buck."
- Lew Hunter, screenwriter and Chairman Emeritus and Professor of Screenwriting at the UCLA Department of Film and Television. He will speak about "Naked Screenwriting: The Icons of Hollywood and Me."
On Saturday afternoon, each of the speakers will conduct a hands-on workshop. Following is the schedule of events:
Friday, October 1
Nebraska Writer’s Guild Soiree, at the Howard Johnson Riverside Inn, 3333 Ramada Rd.
5:00 p.m. – Socialize, set up vendor tables
5:30 - 9:00 p.m. - member readings, (members can sign up at the door
to read); hors d’oeuvres and non-alcoholic beverages provided
Saturday, October 2
NWG Fall Conference at the Good Samaritan Society, 4075 Timberline St., 308-384-3535
8:00 a.m. Registration, set up vendor tables
8:30 a.m. Welcome and announcements
8:45 a.m. Sally Walker: "Successfully Writing in Many Disciplines"
9:45 a.m. Break
10:00 a.m. Sherry Siwinski: "Web Sites – The Best Bang for an
Author’s Promotional Buck"
11:00 a.m. Lew Hunter: "Naked Screenwriting: The Icons of
Hollywood and Me" Lew Hunter's book, Screenwriting 434, will be available for purchase.
12:00 p. m. Lunch on own (Good Samaritan Café available for $9.00
a plate—not included in registration)
1:00 p.m. NWG Business Meeting
1:45 p.m. Break
2:00 p.m. Select Hands-On Workshop:
- Lew Hunter: “Tell Me Three Stories”, write your pitch then present it to the group with subsequent decision.
- Sally Walker: "Exercises in Poetry-to-Prose-to-Drama"
- Sherry Siwinski: "Branding – It’s Not Just for Cattle Anymore!"
4:00 p.m. Evaluations, closing, and door prize drawing
Registration fees are $55 for NWG members, $65 for nonmembers, and $25 for registered students. After Sept. 30 registration is $65 for both members and nonmembers.
Contact Connie Crow, 3823 Coffey Ave, Bellevue, NE 68123 or Jannice Roy, 308-850-0953, firstname.lastname@example.org, with further questions or to register for the conference
A block of rooms has been reserved for conference attendees at the Howard Johnson, Riverside Inn. Call 308-384-5150 and mention the NWG to reserve a room for $69 plus tax. Rooms will be available at this price until Sept. 17. If space is available, the Fairfield Inn will honor this special rate until the date of the conference.
For a list of other local hotels and restaurants visit the Grand Island Visitors Bureau's Website.