The Minnesota Timberwolves signed Los Angeles D-Fenders forward Lazar Hayward on Dec. 31, making him the ninth NBA D-League player during the 2012-13 season.
The 6-6 Hayward was acquired by Los Angeles in a trade from the Tulsa 66ers last week and had yet to play a game for D-Fenders. Hayward, a first round pick by the Washington Wizards in 2010, has 68 games of NBA playing experience. He has a career average of 2.9 points and 1.3 rebounds while playing for the Timberwolves (2010-11) and Oklahoma City Thunder (2011-12).
Other D-League news:
- The Santa Cruz Warriors (9-2) won their fifth straight with a 109-93 victory over the Sioux Falls Skyforce (8-6) on Jan. 1. Kent Bazemore led five Warriors in double figures with 21 points.
- The Iowa Energy forward Paul Harris was named the D-League Performer of the Week on Dec. 31. Harris led the Energy to a 3-0 week, averaging 26.7 points and 13.3 rebounds a game. He also averaged 2.3 assists and 2.3 steals while shooting 60 percent from the floor.
- East Division leader Maine Red Claws improved to 10-5 on the season with a 105-84 victory over the Springfield Armor (4-8) on Dec. 31. The Red Claws, playing without three regular starters, had all five of their starters score in double figures.
Micah Downs and DaJuan Summers led the way for Maine with 23 points apiece. Chamberlain Oguchi (16 points), Scott VanderMeer (14) and Xavier Silas (11) were the other Red Claw starters in double figures. Summers also grabbed a game-high 15 rebounds.
Springfield was led by Carleton Scott with 15 points while Ramone Moore and Ben Uzoh chipped in with 14 apiece. Christian Polk added 10 points for the Armor. Springfield has lost their last three games.
- The New Orleans Hornets assigned Darius Miller to the Iowa Energy on Dec. 31. The 6-8 rookie forward averaged 2.0 points and 1.7 rebounds in 23 games for the Hornets. Miller is expected to be available when the Energy plays at Reno on Jan. 5.
- Renaldo Major becomes the all-time D-League scorer. Major scored eight points in the Bakersfield Jam’s 106-104 victory over the Rio Grande Valley on Dec. 30, to surpass Blake Ahearn as the D-League’s most proficient scorer. Major has 3,812 career points.
- The Canton Charge acquired JaJuan Johnson from the Fort Wayne Mad Ants on Dec. 29. The Charge acquired 6-10 forward/center JaJuan Johnson and a first round draft choice in the 2013 NBA D-League draft for the rights to Luke Harangody and their 2013 third round selection. Canton picked up Harongody on waivers on Dec. 29.
Johnson, a 2011 first round choice by the Boston Celtics, averaged 12.3 points, 8.6 rebounds and 2.2 blocks in 12 games with the Mad Ants this season.
- Samardo Samuels, who was added to Canton Charge’s roster on Dec. 29, was recalled by the Cleveland Cavaliers on Dec. 31. Samuels averaged 20.5 points and 10.5 rebounds in his two games with the Charge. He also shot 56.7 percent from the field.