Natural herbs can provide relief from coughs and the pain of the flu. During the flu season, taking herbs can help to build up your immune system. When you have the flu, consume herbal products in order to reduce symptoms, like a fever, stomachache, or sore throat.
It’s also a healthy habit to drink a few cups of herbal tea each day to help prevent getting the flu.
Herbal Flu Remedies
The following are a few suggestions on herbs to help prevent and provide relief:
- Chamomile tea has been around for thousands of years. It's used in medicine and helps with relieving an upset stomach. It treats congestion if you inhale the steam from a cup of chamomile tea. It's also a sleeping aid.
- Garlic can help to build up one’s immune system. It also aids in healing the lungs.
- Sage added as an extract in water can be used as a mouthwash. Gargle sage extract with warm water to soothe your sore throat.
- Peppermint tea helps the body to sweat out a fever and reduces nasal congestion. Using peppermint extract helps relieve congestion when inhaling.
- Elder berries and elder flowers help to break a fever. They also function as an antiviral and antibacterial agent. Elder berries have been used in medicine since the Stone Age.
- Echinacea enhances immunity and helps to reduce the severity of symptoms of the flu. It’s recommended to take echinacea daily to help build up your immune system and help to prevent getting the flu.
More Health Tips
It’s important that you rest and drink plenty of liquids when you have the flu. Avoid fried foods and dairy products to help speed up recovery and build up your immune system. In addition, avoid soft drinks, sugar, food additives, and artificial sweeteners. Again, keep warm and get plenty of rest. Besides, you deserve it! If you don’t feel better in a few days, seek professional help.
And don’t forget good ole’ chicken soup.
Enjoy this article? Receive e-mail alerts when new articles are available. Just click on the "Subscribe" button above.