In the recent past Senators John McCain (R-AZ) and Byron Dorgan (D-ND) had introduced Senate Bill 3002 that could have radically changed DSHEA and awarded more power to the FDA over retailers and suppliers in the dietary supplements industry. A message of opposition was sent to them by The Natural Products Association and it was heard by their Senators.
John Gay, CEO and Executive Director of the NPA said that "this bill was a wake up call for the industry and we had better not fall back asleep. Other members of Congress could pick up where McCain and Dorgan left off. We need to keep up the pressure on Congress, and let them know that S. 3002 and bills like it are unacceptable."
There is other current legislation on the table in Congress that retail and supply members of the NPA are monitoring;
- S. 934 - A bill to amend the Child Nutrition Act of 1996 to improve nutrition and health of schoolchildren and protect the Federal investment in the national school lunch and breakfast programs by updating nutrition science and standards.
- S. 641 - A bill to amend the Controlled Substances Act to prevent the abuse of dehydropiandrosterone, and for other purpose.
- H.R. 3406 - To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to exclude from gross income amounts reimbursed by an individual's employer for certain dietary supplements and meal replacement products.
- H.R. 1869 - To require the President to call a White House Conference on Food and Nutrition
- H.R. 1324 - A bill to amend the Child Nutrition Act of 1996 to improve nutrition and health of schoolchildren and protect the Federal investment in the national school lunch and breakfast programs by updating nutrition science and standards.
For complete information visit the NPA website at www.npainfo.org
Or go to www.naturalproductsinsider.com for coverage of all news naturale.
This legislation has a direct effect on the consumers/tax payers. If your life is directly affected by this industry then contact your elected Representatives and let them know your opinion and how passing this legislation may be detrimental to YOUR health.
Contact professional trade associations directly to give them your feedback. Often times they have an online petition setup as a vehicle for contacting elected representatives to share your opposition or favor.
The government has already decided that your health care is their business. Let's not throw out the baby with the bath water.