Yesterday the USDA announced that Perdue Farms is recalling about 91,872 pounds of frozen chicken nuggets. Foreign materials have been found in the packaging, though no injuries have been reported.
The products subject to recall include 1lb 13oz bag of "GREAT VALUE Fully Cooked Chicken Nuggets."
Each bag bears the establishment number "P-33944," as well as a case code of "89008 A0160" on the backside of the packaging.
There is also a "BEST IF USED BY" date of June 9, 2011.
In light of this recall, let us look at a healthy and tasty alternative to premade chicken nuggets.
Almost as Fast as Frozen Chicken Nuggets
1-2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup flour
1 cup plain breadcrumbs (whole grain are ideal)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Rinse and dry chicken breasts.
- Cut into desired shapes, my family prefers long, narrow strips.
- Place the flour in one bowl, the beaten egg in another and the breadcrumbs and seasonings in a third.
- Dredge the chicken pieces in the flour, then the egg and lastly, the breadcrumbs.
- Place on a rimmed baking sheet lightly coated with non stick spray.
- Bake chicken in a 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and is lightly browned. Time will vary according to thickness of chicken pieces.
Try these chicken nuggets once and you will never go back to frozen ones again! My 14 year old knows how to make these as well, it is a perfect beginning recipe for a budding cook.
The seasonings may also be adjusted according to family preferences.
These are great on top of a salad, or make a great basis for chicken parmesan.
What are some processed foods that you have begun making on your own? I'd love to hear from you!
Don't want to miss a single recipe? Be sure to click on my spam free subscribe button above and get all of my articles delivered to your inbox!
You can also follow me on Twitter.