You may recall the large beef recall a few weeks back (you can read the story here). Today, February 18, 2014, Food Safety News is reporting that recall has been expanded nationally! The reason the beef products are being recalled is due to the fact the cows were either diseased or unhealthy and none of the product had been inspected. The original recall was for approximately 8.7 million pounds of beef product.
According to the United States Department of Agriculture, the Rancho Feeding Corporation of Petaluma, California, actually shipped the recalled product nationwide and not just California, Texas, Florida and Illinois, as previously reported.
The following list of products are those being recalled:
- “Beef Carcasses” (wholesale and custom sales only)
- 2 per box “Beef (Market) Heads” (retail only)
- 4-gallons per box “Beef Blood” (wholesale only)
- 20-lb. boxes of “Beef Oxtail”
- 30-lb. boxes of “Beef Cheeks”
- 30-lb. boxes of ” Beef Lips”
- 30-lb. boxes of “Beef Omasum”
- 30-lb. boxes of “Beef Tripas”
- 30-lb. boxes of “Mountain Oysters”
- 30-lb. boxes of “Sweet Breads”
- 30- and 60-lb. boxes of “Beef Liver”
- 30- and 60-lb. boxes of “Beef Tripe”
- 30- and 60-lb. boxes of “Beef Tongue”
- 30- and 60-lb. boxes of “Veal Cuts”
- 40-lb. boxes of “Veal Bones”
- 50-lb. boxes of “Beef Feet”
- 50-lb. boxes of “Beef Hearts”
- 60-lb. boxes of “Veal Trim”
The Food Safety and Inspection Services branch of the USDA has compiled a list of all stores and markets who received the recalled product. You can can get the link to the complete list of stores and markets which received the recalled beef products here.
The internationally bestselling cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards, "Edwardian Cooking: 80 Recipes Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals," is now in it's third printing and available worldwide in both hard cover and e-book versions. The paperback version will be released March 4, 2014.