When it comes to holidays, Aug. 25 is sure to lift your "spirits!" Not only is it National Banana Split Day and Kiss and Make Up Day, Aug. 25 also celebrates a classic cocktail. Get ready to raise your glass, America. It's National Whiskey Sour Day!
Folks have been sippin' on Whiskey Sours for years. Legend has it this fabulous cocktail first appeared in print back in 1862. This drink was actually the most popular cocktail in the United States for over a century! Not too tart, not too sweet, this simple-to-make drink is the perfect pick-me-up after a hard day at work - or just because. Traditionally made with egg whites, whiskey sours are typically made with bourbon rye or blended whiskey, lemon juice and sugar.
Whiskey Sour Cocktail Recipes
- Martha's Whiskey Sour - This recipe, from Martha Stewart, looks divine! You'll need bourbon, granulated sugar, fresh lemon and orange juice, Turbinado sugar, lemon wedge, ice cubes and oven-dried orange slices for this cocktail.
- Mad Men Whiskey Sour - You'll need whiskey, fresh lemon juice, sugar and a cherry and a lemon slice for garnish.
- Rye Whiskey Sour - This cocktail recipe, from Michael Ruhlman, calls for Rye or whiskey of choice, lemon and lime juice, orange zest, egg white and simple syrup.
- Fresh Whiskey Sours - This popular 5-star recipe, from Ina Garten, calls for Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey sugar syrup, freshly squeezed lemon and lime juice and Maraschino cherries.
- Whiskey Sour - This superfine recipe, from Esquire, calls for bourbon, lemon juice and superfine sugar!
- Imbibe Whiskey Sour - Forget the sweet and sour mix! This recipe, from Imbibe Magazine, is the real deal!
- Grilled Peach Whiskey Sour - Now we're talking!
- Forbidden Sour - This pretty cocktail calls for Pama Pomegranate Liqueur, bourbon, simple syrup, fresh lemon juice and an orange and cherry for garnish.
- Simple Whiskey Sours - You'll need whiskey, lemon and lime juice and powdered sugar for this simple Sour version.
- New York Sour - This sour recipe, from Bon Appetit, calls for rye or bourbon whiskey, fresh lemon juice, simple syrup and fruity red wine.
- Bourbon Sour -You'll need bourbon, an egg white, fresh lemon juice, simple syrup and angostura bitters for this one.
- Ward Eight - This recipe calls for rye or bourbon, fresh lemon and orange juice, grenadine and a maraschino cherry.
- All-American Whiskey Sour - This drink calls for Maker's Mark Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, Sweet and Sour Mix and freshly squeezed orange juice.
- Whiskey Sour Old Fashioned - You'll need whiskey, sweet and sour mix, cherry juice and bitters for this top-rated drink.
- Whiskey Sour Slush - Perfect for a hot summer's day!
- Whiskey Hot and Sour - This cocktail calls for bourbon, fresh lemon juice, simple syrup, egg white, hot sauce and an orange slice and Serrano pepper for garnish.
And speaking of spirited holidays, Red Wine Day is almost here! Cheers!
As always - please drink responsibly.