The first Friday in February is dedicated to raising awareness about a disease that kills more women than all cancers combined - heart disease. Feb. 1, 2013, is National Wear Red Day, an annual event that raises awareness and educates the public about the dangers of heart disease in women.
Since National Wear Red Day began, the AHA estimates that approximately 627,000 women's lives have been saved due to the annual campaign. While National Wear Red Day targets women between the ages of 40 and 60 when the risk of heart disease begins to rise, the national day of action serves as an important reminder for women of all ages. Although 21 percent fewer women are dying from heart disease since the program began, women are still dying.
National Wear Red Day 2013
2013 marks the 10th anniversary of the American Heart Association's Go Red for Women movement and Macy's is going red for women! On Jan. 31, 2013, a lighting ceremony will take place at Macy's Herald Square in New York City. Macy's customers who purchase a Red Dress pin for $2 between Jan. 30 and Feb. 14, 2013, will not only receive "all-day savings throughout the store" but all proceeds from the sale of the Red Dress pins will be donated to the American Heart Association's Go Red for Women campaign.
National Wear Red Day Information & Resources
- Know the warning signs - before they happen.
- Download The Heart Truth Wallet Card and keep it in your wallet.
- Free Wear Red Day Resources - Just sign up to receive downloadable and printable planning guides, posters, health information and more.
- Download and share the Free National Wear Red Day Poster.
- Mayo Clinic shares heart disease symptoms and risk factors in women.
Show your support for stomping out heart disease by putting on your favorite red dress, slipping into your comfy red shoes and encouraging your friends and loved ones to wear red as well.
And speaking of holidays, Super Bowl Sunday is right around the corner!
- Watch the Best Super Bowl Ads of All Time: Top 17 Super Bowl Commercials
- Super Simple Super Bowl Fudge – The best 2 ingredient fudge recipe around!
- Super Bowl Party Cocktails, Drinks and Punch Recipes for Super Bowl Sunday
- Super Bowl Party Recipes - Super Bowl sandwiches, appetizers and dips for Super Bowl Sunday
- Free Super Bowl Games, Activities & Printables for kids