January may be winding down, but dog owners can still participate in "National Train Your Dog" month. Thought up by the Association of Pet Dog Trainers, this month-long opportunity gives pet owners the chance to really sit down with their dogs and work on any commands or bad habits needed to be addressed. Yes, training may take time and effort on your part as the owner, but it is well worth the energy in the long-run.
Whether you're training your dog to "sit" and "stay" or trying to rid them of a nasty habit, there are plenty of ways to train your dog. Here is a list of pet trainers in the Northern Virginia and D.C. area:
- Training Humans for Dogs in Manassas
- Cooperative Paws
- Woofs Dog Training in Arlington
- Dog training classes at the Animal Welfare League of Arlington
- Beginning-Advanced training classes at multiple PetSmart locations
If you have time to train your dog yourself, then make sure to use these helpful hints from Petfinder:
- Positive Reinforcement: When training your dog, make sure to reward them with a small treat after doing the behavior right. By constantly showing affection and rewarding them with treats when completing a behavior, your dog will begin to pick up on the behavior.
- Never give up: Training may be frustrating, but you should never quit on the job. If you quit, then so will your dog.
- Be in control: Show your dog who is boss by being confident and consistent when training.