Tortellini is a ring-shaped pasta typically stuffed with meat or cheese. Whether you prefer yours smothered in a delicious sauce, in a piping-hot bowl of soup or in a cold pasta salad, this versatile stuffed pasta originated in the region of Bologna, Italy.
Tortellini is such a beloved dish, members of the secretive Learned Order of Tortellini are devoted to the preservation of the pasta. Legend has it that during their meetings, the members wear red and gold tortellini-shaped hats and necklaces made of ribbon adorned with a gold tortellini. The members do not speak until their "tortellini in broth" meal is completely finished. Now that's dedication!
11 Tortellini Pasta Recipes
- Apple Tortellini Salad - This refreshing pasta salad dish not only tastes great, but is low in fat and high in fiber.
- Spinach and Cheese Tortellini - This 5-star recipe calls for fresh cheese tortellini, cherry tomatoes, peas, garlic, Portobello mushrooms, spinach, Parmesan, pine nuts, mixed greens and spray dressing.
- Tortellini - This 5-star recipe, from Alton Brown, calls for ricotta cheese, Parmesan, spinach, an egg, nutmeg, pepper and homemade pasta - recipe included.
- Hearty Cheese Tortellini - You'll need Italian sausage, ground beef, marinara sauce, Italian diced tomatoes, fresh mushroom, mozzarella cheese and refrigerated cheese tortellini.
- Chicken Broccoli Tortellini Soup - You'll need chicken broth, Italian seasoning, frozen broccoli in cheese-flavored sauce, cheese-filled tortellini, chicken, plum tomatoes and Parmesan cheese.
- Tortellini & Zucchini Soup - This recipe, from Eating Well, calls for carrots, an onion, vegetable broth, zucchini, plum tomatoes, red wine vinegar and spinach and cheese tortellini.
- Baked Tortellini - This baked pasta dish looks delish!
- Creamy Restaurant-Style Tortellini - This popular dish, from Kraft, calls for milk, cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, baby spinach leaves, cherry tomatoes and refrigerated cheese tortellini.
- Tortellini Primavera - This recipe calls for all-purpose flour, olive oil, fontina or Parmesan cheese, mixed vegetables, frozen cheese tortellini and a veggie or reduced-sodium chicken broth.
- Cheese Tortellini with Vegetables - This vegetarian dish calls for frozen cheese tortellini, an onion, red bell pepper, sun-dried tomatoes, broccoli, lemon juice, tarragon and Parmesan cheese.
- Tortellini Kebobs - This fun recipe is perfect for backyard barbecues or get-togethers. You'll need spinach tortellini, grape tomatoes, mini mozzarella balls with pesto, olive oil and salt and pepper. Don't forget the skewers.
Bon appetit! February 13 is also Get a Different Name Day.