July has had many delicious and refreshing holidays. So far this month, Americans have celebrated National Ice Cream Day, National Hot Dog Day, National Junk Food Day, National Fortune Cookie Day, Fresh Spinach Day, National French Fries Day and National Daiquiri Day, to name a few. But this particular holiday is dedicated to a particular spirit that has been enjoyed since the 16th century. July 24th is National Tequila Day.
While the origins of this annual holiday are unknown, tequila is North America’s “oldest distilled spirit." Produced from the juices of Mexico’s blue agave plant, tequila must be fermented and distilled with at least 51 percent of agave juice, although the best tequilas are produced with 100 percent blue agave.
Many restaurants and bars will be celebrating National Tequila Day 2012 by offering a wide variety of tequila tastings, events, celebrations and specials in honor of the occasion.
National Tequila Day 2012 Tastings, Events & Specials
- Touted as America’s number one Mexican restaurant, Abuelo’s will be celebrating the National Tequila Day by offering special deals on their premium Margaritas.
- All Rocco’s Tacos and Tequila Bars will be servin’ up specials in honor of the event. Specials include $5 margaritas, $15 margarita pitchers and 50 percent off all bottles of tequila. And be sure to stop by during happy hour on July 24th, from 4-7:00 P.M., and get $1 off all drinks, too.
- Stop by Dos Caminos for a tasty Tequila Tasting event on July 24th from 5:00 to 7:00 P.M. You must be 21 to attend and valid identification is required.
- Chevy’s Fresh Mex will be celebrating National Tequila Day with its National Tequila Day Fiesta from July 20 – July 24, 2012. Patrons can sample items from its tequila-inspired menu including Flaming Tequila Chicken Fajitas, $5 Watermelon Margaritas, tequila shots, special cocktails and more deals.
- Vida Mexican Kitchen & Cantina will be raising their glasses on National Tequila Day with special deals on margaritas. $1 from each margarita will be donated to the Habitat for Humanity with Vida matching the donations.
- Chicago’s HUB 51 will be serving up margaritas for just $6 each.
- The Barrio Urban Taqueria, also in Chicago, will be celebrating with a special reception on July 24th from 6 - 8:00 P.M. For $20 per person, guests can enjoy the Oro Azul tequila tasting, Chef Carlos Affon’s signature appetizers and one freshly made margarita of your choice. Reservations are required.
- Beginning at 3:00, guests at Grill 55, located in the Renaissance Hotel in Las Vegas, can enjoy an Espolon Scratch Margarita for $4 and/or a street taco for just $2.00. The event takes place from 11:00 A.M. to 10:00 P.M. on July 24, 2012.
- The Fajitaville Grille in Corpus Christi is also celebrating with various specials.
- Mad Mex will be having a $3 Tequila Tasting event on July 24, 2012. Super Premiums not included.
Whether you prefer to sip it or shoot it, or prefer yours straight, frozen or chilled, celebrate National Tequila Day by sippin' on one of the tequila recipes listed below. So grab a lime and your salt shaker and get ready to tickle your taste buds!
20 Killer Tequila Cocktail Recipes
- Bunny **cker – 'Nuff said!
- Tequila Sunrise – You’ll need tequila, orange juice and grenadine for this popular drink.
- Strawberry Rhubarb Paloma – This cocktail, from Guy Fieri, calls for fresh rhubarb, 1 strawberry, tequila blanco 100 percent blue agave, agave nectar, fresh lime juice, salt, ice and grapefruit soda.
- Cranberry Kiss – You’ll need triple sec, cranberry juice and reposado tequila for this pretty cocktail.
- Cactus Juice – You’ll need tequila, amaretto liqueur and sweet and sour mix for this drink.
- Apple Grande – This top-notch cocktail calls for Jose Cuervo tequila and apple cider.
- Chalino Special – This pretty drink calls for white tequila, crème de cassis, lemon and lime juices and simple syrup.
- Brave Bull – You’ll need tequila, coffee liqueur and a lemon peel for this top-rated drink.
- Gasoline – Interesting name!
- Salty Chihuahua – You’ll need tequila, lemonade, ice, coarse salt and a lime wedge for this one.
- Blue Rita – This drink with a blue hue calls for Blue Curacao, coconut rum, sour mix, tequila and a slice of lime.
- Ultimate Frozen Strawberry Margarita – This popular ice-cold drink calls for tequila, triple sec, frozen strawberries and frozen limeade concentrate.
- Frozen Mango Margarita – This 5-star recipe calls for a bag of frozen mango, fresh lime juice, tequila, orange liqueur and superfine sugar.
- Cranberry Margarita – This popular, top-rated cocktail sounds delish!
- Pomegranate Margarita – You’ll need white tequila, triple sec, lime, club soda, salt and pomegranate juice for this 5-star recipe.
- Cucumber Cilantro Margarita – Talk about refreshing! This 5-star cocktail, from Bobby Flay, calls for cucumber, fresh cilantro, sugar, lime, silver tequila, triple sec and ice cubes.
- Hungry Girl’s Low-Calorie Margarita – All the taste without the guilt!
- Tequila Mojito - You'll need lemon-lime soda, tequila, sugar, fresh mint and lime juice for this refreshing beverage.
- Tequila Sangria - This pretty drink calls for orange and pineapple slices, blackberries, lime wedges, tequila, orange and pineapple juices, red wine, simple syrup and flavored liqueur.
- Frozen Limes Filled with Sangrita and Tequila – This recipe calls for fresh orange juice, grenadine syrup, cayenne pepper, salt, 12 limes and premium tequila.
As always, please drink responsibly. Cheers! And by the way, National Scotch Day is coming up!
Please visit the July 2012 Holiday Calendar for more wacky, weird and wonderful holidays.