If you're in the mood for food, go grab your fork! March 31 is National Tater Day, an annual "food holiday" that celebrates the delicious spud! Whether you prefer baked, roasted, loaded, scalloped, mashed, hashed, smashed, stuffed, Frenched or fried, potatoes are a versatile vegetable that Americans love to eat!
Fun Potato Facts
- According to the National Potato Council, an average potato contains no fat, no cholesterol and has about 100-110 calories each.
- The potato contains about 80 percent water.
- The "average" American eats over 137 pounds of potatoes annually (fresh, frozen, boxed, canned and potato chips)
- High in fiber, potassium and vitamin C, potatoes are also considered an antioxidant.
- Idaho is the top potato producer - producing over 14 billion pounds of potatoes in 2012 with Washington and Wisconsin taking the second and third spots.
- The potato was the first veggie grown in space.
- Potatoes have been used to heal and help prevent a variety of health issues. From skin blemishes, frostbite and sunburn, to toothaches, sore throats, aches and pains.
In honor of National Tater Day, why not whip up one or two of the delicious recipes listed below?
Delicious Potato Recipes
- Perfect Potato Salad - You can't have a potato extravaganza without a fabulous potato salad recipe!
- Potato Soup with Shrimp - Talk about comfort food! This 5-star recipe calls for russet potatoes, milk, onion, butter, chicken bouillon, carrots, all-purpose flour, half-and-half, shrimp, bacon bits, cheese and dill sprigs.
- Potato Skins - The Brown-Eyed Baker shares her delicious skin recipe.
- Twice-Baked Potatoes - This 5-star recipe, from The Pioneer Woman, looks divine!
- Scalloped Potatoes - This recipe calls for russet potatoes, cheddar cheese, heavy cream, milk, onion, garlic and thyme.
- Utah Funeral Potatoes - You'll need hash browns, chicken soup, sour cream, grated cheddar cheese, butter or margarine, corn flakes and onion.
- Blue Potatoes Au Gratin - This 5-star dish, from Paula Deen, calls for blue potatoes, garlic, butter, heavy cream, blue cheese, Gruyere cheese, all-purpose flour, salt and pepper.
- Mexican Four Cheese Potatoes Au Gratin - If you love cheese and potatoes with a little kick, get ready for a heapin' helpin' of this delicious dish that calls for potatoes, chicken broth, Pace Mexican Four Cheese Salsa and heavy cream or half-and-half.
- Cheesy Smashed Potatoes - You'll need baby Yukon gold potatoes, sour cream, cheddar cheese, chives and seasoning for this dish from Rachael Ray.
- Perfect French Fries - If the Pioneer Woman says these fries are perfect, they are perfect!
- Oven Fries - This 5-star recipe, from Ellie Krieger, calls for baking potatoes, canola oil, salt and cooking spray.
- Roasted Red Potatoes - This recipe calls for red potatoes, olive oil, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and seasonings.
- Homemade Potato Tots - You'll need potatoes, flour, pepper, salt, onions and canola oil for this recipe.
- Tater Tots Potato Skins - This 5-star recipe calls for thawed tater tots, cheese, sour cream, chives and bacon.
- Soul Sweet 'Taters - You'll need sweet potatoes for this tater recipe.