Today, Friday, Oct. 4 is National Taco Day. In Orange County, there are creative tacos waiting to be tried. And, of course, the traditional tacos abound. Ready, Set, Eat (tacos). After all, Americans ate about 4.5 billion tacos in 2012. Why not beat that record in 2013.
Tacos are a complete meal, right? They include veggies, meat, cheese and a form of bread. To paraphrase, so many tacos, so little time.
Here are a few to try.
- Award-winner. Sol Mexican Cocina in Newport Beach. Chef Deb Schneider won a Golden Foodie Ward for her taco creation. Try the Chorizo and Grilled Poblano Rajas Taco with Queso Fresco and salsa Verde. 251 E. Coast Hwy (Balboa Marina). 949-675-9800.
- Today’s secret offer. El Torito (various Orange County locations). Say the secret word (s)—“Secret Taco” today, Fri., Oct. 4 to your server and get a free taco (crispy or Street Taco). The promotion excludes the halibut taco and is not valid at El Torito Grill.
- Something Different. Patsy’s Irish Pub, Laguna Niguel. That’s right, Irish Pub. Hit your taste buds with something new. Corned Beef Tacos with cabbage and cheese on a soft corn tortilla or Philly-style taco with Philly steak, melted cheese and grilled onions on a soft corn tortilla.
- Feels like cheating. El Pollo Loco, various locations. Yes, it’s fast food, but the Crunchy Chicken Tacos taste close to homemade. Also, under fast food—Jack in the Box. The regular size tacos—grease and all—are still popular (and still cost only 99 cents for two).
- Creative Juices. Taco Asylum in Costa Mesa. Non-traditional at its best, thanks to Chef Greg Daniels. From Pork Belly to Roasted Duck and from Ghost Chili Pork to Surf & Turf (lobster and steak), this is a must try for its variety. 2937 S. Bristol St. (in The CAMP). 714.922-6010.