Have you heard the latest "buzz?" For the very first time, the majority of Americans are now in favor of legalizing a controversial substance that is illegal in many parts of the world. April 20, 2013, is National Pot Smoking Day, one of the most popular "holidaze" celebrated by marijuana enthusiasts around the globe..
National Pot Smoking Day is 4/20
While the origins of this "holiday" are a bit foggy, National Pot Smoking Day celebrates Cannabis sativa. Also referred to as Weed Day, National Pot Smokers Day, 4/20 or 4/20 Day, there is some debate as to the origins of the term"4/20."
Some believe “420” refers to the number of chemical compounds found in marijuana. Others believe the term refers to a police dispatch or Section 420 in the California Penal Code. But most "experts" believe the term was actually coined by a group of pot-smoking teens from San Rafael High School back in the 1970s. The slang "420" referred to the actual time they were to light up - 4:20 - just in case they forgot!
The Great Marijuana Debate
Despite the fact that millions still enjoy lighting up from time-to-time, marijuana still remains an illegal substance in most of the United States. While the majority of Americans now support legalization, National Pot Smoking Day also helps bring attention to the heated legalization debate.
4/20 Smoke-Out Celebrations Around the World
Whether you are in favor of legalization or not, many folks from near and far will be tokin’ and smokin’ on April 20, 2013. In fact, it is estimated that about 250,000 people from around the world will observe National Pot Smoking Day by attending pro-pot protests, peaceful rallies, smoke-outs and marches.
- The University of Colorado Boulder is known for having the largest 4/20 Smoke-Out on any university campus. Up to 12,000 people have attended the yearly event. But for the second year in a row, the campus will be closed to all unauthorized visitors in an attempt to stop the ginormous smoke-out.
- The first High Times USA Cannabis Cup, a two-day Mile High event, will take place in Denver on April 20 - April 21, 2013.
- Get ready for some high times in New York! Stop by Washington Square Park on April 20, 2013, from 4:20 - 7: 20 p.m.
- The 17th Annual Moscow Idaho Hemp Festival begins at 10 a.m. on April 20, 2013. Speakers, arts and crafts vendors and plenty of great food will be on hand. Be sure to bring your own drums and hula hoops and get your dance on!
- Amsterdam's City Hall will be the location of the Amsterdam 420 Celebration. Events include a Smoke Out Second Edition, Festival and After Party.
- The 4/20 Smoke-Out in the beautiful Canadian city of Vancouver, is also a popular event.
- And speaking of Canada, the 15th Annual Global Marijuana March (GMM) will take place on May 11, 2013. More than 100 cities across the world, including Toronto, will participate.
If you plan to party with Mary Jane on April 20, Happy National Pot Smoking Day to everyone who plans to celebrate.