March 16- 22, 2014 is National Poison Prevention Week. (www.poisonprevention.org) The poison prevention week council encourages you to take steps to help prevent accidental poisonings and to promote community involvement in the prevention of such poisonings. According to their website, “more than 2 million poisonings are reported each year to the 61 poison control centers across the country. More than 90 percent of these poisoning occur in the home”. Additionally, poisoning is one of the leading causes of death among adults. An estimated 90,000 children are treated in emergency rooms nationwide and about 30 die each year due to poison related incidents. Some simple tips will reduce the risk of accidental poisoning: · Keep products in their original containers. Never store chemicals in anything but their original container, as they may be mistaken for something to drink. · Properly seal up all products after use · Keep all products out of the reach of small children, including known poisons, any household cleaning supplies, and prescription medications and over the counter vitamins. · Know the poison help line number 1-800-222-1222, and have this number readily available in your home, as well as homes where your child may be cared for (childcare providers, grandparents). · Always take medications exactly as prescribed, reducing the risk of unintentional overdosing of medication. In the event that a medication has been unintentionally ingested by a child, do not give anything to eat or drink by mouth, until you contact the poison control center. They will provide first aid instruction and advise of the need to seek further medical care.
March 19, 2014