I came up with this "jazzed up" version of Shepard's pie to suit my tastes a little more than the traditional recipe.
Find everything you need to make this comforting recipe at your local Meijer.
- 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 an onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- tomato juice
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- frozen corn (or used canned)
- Velveeta cheese
- 1 prepared pie crust
- 6 potatoes, diced and peeled
- 2 cloves garlic
- milk or 1/2 and 1/2 as needed for mashed potatoes
- Brown ground beef. Drain well. Add onion and cook for about 5 minutes til onions are tender. Add garlic, cook for a couple minutes. Add tomato juice til mixture is the consistency of sloppy joes. Add bouillon and corn. Cook for 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and add Velveeta, stirring til cheese is melted.
- While beef is browning, start water for potatoes. Cook potatoes and garlic til tender- about 15 minutes. Mash with milk and butter.
- Spread beef mixture in crust. Top with mashed potatoes. Bake at 400° for about 25-30 minutes, and top of potatoes are browned.
- Variations: Add your favorite seasonings to ground beef.