In case you haven't heard the "mews," September has gone to the dogs - and cats, tigers and bears - oh my! Not only is it Happy Cat Month, National Hug Your Hound Day, National Wildlife Day, National Puppy Mill Awareness Day and National Dogs in Politics Day, September also honors those special four-legged friends that currently share our lives as well as the pets that are no longer with us. It's National Pet Memorial Day, an annual "howliday" that celebrates and honors those amazing animals that have passed over the Rainbow Bridge.
National Pet Memorial Day
The annual event, created more than 40 years ago by the International Association of Pet Cemeteries and Crematories, takes place on the second Sunday in September. This year's event occurs on Sunday, Sept. 8, 2013. Future events take place:
- Sept. 14, 2014
- Sept. 13, 2015
How to Celebrate National Pet Memorial Day
Whether you fancy felines, prefer pooches or critters of a different species altogether, animals are beloved family members. Today is the "purrfect" day to remember and celebrate the time you shared with Fido or Fluffy.
- Change your Facebook profile pic to one of your beloved pets.
- Take a stroll down memory lane and watch a few family flicks that feature your favorite furrbaby or get out the old photo album.
- Visit your pet's grave.
- Some locations around the country are holding special Pet Blessings for living pets.
- Donate or volunteer your time at a local animal shelter in your pet's honor.
- Foster an animal in need.
- If you have been thinking about adding a new pet to your family, please consider adopting. Many shelters are inundated with unwanted, unloved and abused animals. Sadly, never of them make it out alive. Please open your heart and home to a new pet today -before it's too late.
- Post an online tribute about your favorite furry friend who is no longer with us.