National park carry in Minnesota

mn.gif

Comments

• Rusty Carr 5 years ago

Hey, ya know, its a cry'n shame the bloody slaughter that's occured in our national parks since this law went into effect. I was up at Yosemite the other day and MY GOD there were bodies laying all over the campgrounds and back country trails, the streams were running red with blood and the "genocide" of the poor Bambis was horrific. Of course, the general public has not been informed of this situation due to the machinations of the VAST RIGHT WING CONSPIRACY!!

• Mike Ward 5 years ago

John,
    We at Voyageurs would sure like to have a discussion with you based on this article. I think it is important to ensure the interpretation of the law is correct. Please feel free to contact me.

• John Pierce 5 years ago

Mike,

Thanks for your quick comment. I would love to speak with you. I left my number on your secretary's voice mail. I look forward to hearing from you!

John

• Sam K 5 years ago

Nice article, is it actually legal to carry weapons in MN parks now...? I never thought about it, but am gonna be more self conscious from now on :(. Who in God's name came up with making it legal to carry live weaponry with yourself... unless you're a trained cop, it's just an accident waiting to happen... knife is one thing.
    And Rusty, I bet you think you're funny, eh. I hope you won't ever end up in a situation that'll force you to hastily change your mind on this. I've heard of plenty of news stories where a kid was shot 'cause of a friend abusing dad's gun - sometimes by accident.
    Is all of MN now subject to allowing concealed weapons?

• John Pierce 5 years ago

Sam,

- Is it actually legal to carry weapons in MN parks now?

Yes. It has been since 2003 when the MCPPA passed. However, the DNR did not officially change their rule to match state law until 2005 when approached by MADFI as noted above.

- Who in God's name came up with making it legal to carry live weaponry with yourself... unless you're a trained cop, it's just an accident waiting to happen.

In fact, 48 states allow some form of concealed carry for citizens and the predictions by anti-gun groups of accidents, gunfights and over-reaching by permit holders has entirely failed to materialize.

- Is all of MN now subject to allowing concealed weapons?

Yes. Since 2003 when the MCPPA passed. You need to complete a comprehensive training class and pass a background check to receive the permit. Also, weapons may be carried openly or concealed.

If you are interested in getting your permit or learning more, just let me know.

Thanks!

John

• Jim 5 years ago

JOhn I suggest you reread MN statue 624.7181 which states the 'Carry does not include rifles, shotguns and bb guns' under the authority to carry a firearm with a permit in MN statue 624.714. What the law 614.7181 is saying is that the definition of 'carry' under a permit in 624.714 does NOT include rifles, shotguns and bb guns and thus rifles, shotguns and bb guns can not be 'carried' with a firearms permit. Otherwise you would see individuals carrying loaded rifles and shotguns down mainstreet Minnesota, in city parks etc. when not engaged in hunting activity.

• Chris 4 years ago

Sorry, Jim, but I must disagree. 624.7181 states that if one has a permit to carry, one is not "carrying" a long gun for the purpose of this statute. Therefore, that which is not illegal is legal. Carrying a long gun, with a permit to carry, is legal. That does not mean you will not be stopped and questioned, but it is legal.

• tiredbiker: 5 years ago

Samy K: Please understand that if everyone had a gun safety course, how to handle a gun responsibly, there would not be the "accidental shooting". We are being disarmed by our own government slowly and the only ones left to shoot you or any of our precious children, will be the gang bangers and those left who don't carry nor handle guns responsibly. Disarming a society is a dangerous thing. History will tell you that.

Ok, can we cut to the chase?

I am going into the US portion of VNP. I have a CCP.
    1. Can I bring my handgun?
    2. Do I have to conceal it?
    3. Can I bring longguns (I am doing a houseboat vacation)?

Answers I am not looking for: "why"?