If you are a mushroom lover, you better go grab your fork! Oct. 15 is National Mushroom Day, an annual holiday that celebrates 'shrooms of all shapes and sizes! From the popular white button and meat-like flavored portobello, to shiitake, morel and crimini, edible mushrooms are one of the most versatile foods around.
Whether you prefer yours in your favorite dish, deep fried, stuffed, on a burger or as a burger, these tasty morsels are not only hearty and filling, mushrooms are good for you, too. Low in calories, fat and cholesterol-free, mushrooms are packed with Vitamin D, Vitamin B, potassium, riboflavin, selenium and niacin.
In honor of National Mushroom Day, why not whip up one or two of the mushroom-inspired dishes below?
16 Amazing Mushroom Recipes
- Mushroom Lover's Pizza Dip - If you are looking for a different kind of dip, look no further! This recipe calls for light cream cheese, light sour cream, fresh mushrooms, pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese and tortilla chips. Just don't double-dip the chip!
- Mushroom Soup - This simple-to-make soup, from Anthony Bourdain, calls for butter, onion, button mushrooms, broth, parsley, sherry and salt and pepper.
- No-Bake Hummus Stuffed Mushrooms - Hummus lovers will appreciate this recipe!
- Artichoke and Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms - You'll need large white mushrooms, artichoke hearts, garlic, nutmeg, thyme, Asiago and Parmesan cheese for this recipe.
- Baked Eggs and Mushrooms and Parmesan - Looking for something different for breakfast? Check out this hearty meal from Kalyn's Kitchen.
- Overstuffed Mushroom Omelet - You'll need four eggs, butter, mushrooms, Swiss cheese and salt and butter for this dish.
- Grilled Portobello Mushrooms with Tomatoes and Fresh Mozzarella - This popular 5-star recipe, from Giada De Laurentiis, calls for four large portobello mushrooms, olive oil, tomatoes, garlic, fresh basil and fresh water-packed mozzarella cheese.
- Grilled Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms for Two - This meatless meal is perfect for two.
- Grilled Portobello Burger with Sundried Tomato Aioli - You'll need four portobellos, mozzarella, arugula, light mayo, sundried tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, red onion and wheat burger buns for this delish meatless recipe.
- Portobello Mushroom Pita Gyros - You'll need four large portobellos, Greek yogurt, cucumber, lemon, garlic, fresh mint, Roma tomatoes, onion, romaine lettuce, spices and four pitas for this refreshing vegetarian dish.
- Pasta with Whiskey, Wine and Mushrooms - If it's from The Pioneer Woman, it's gotta be amazing!
- Pasta in a Creamy Mushroom and White Wine Sauce - This recipe, from Becca at Amuse Your Bouche, calls for pasta, butter, olive oil, onion, garlic, mushrooms, vegetable stock, cream, nutmeg, parsley and white wine.
- Portobello Mushroom Lasagna - This popular 5-star meatless recipe, from the Barefoot Contessa, looks delish!
- Portobello Red Pepper & Pesto Pizza - OMG - This pizza, from Lindsay at the Pinch of Yum, looks absolutely fabulous! Run, don't walk, to grab this recipe!
- Grilled Spinach and Mushroom Pizza - Talk about easy-peasy. This simple-to-make pizza recipe is from Pillsbury.
- Exotic Mushroom Pizza - This 5-star recipe calls for a pre-baked crust, Fontina and Gorgonzola cheese, onions, exotic mushroom and dry red wine!
- Halloween Fudge: Simple 2-ingredient fudge recipe for trick-or-treat time
- Top 10 ‘Howl-ween’ pet safety tips: Keep Fido and Fluffy safe on Halloween
- 35 Orange & Black Halloween Recipes – Spooky dishes, desserts, treats & cocktails
- Halloween cakes and cupcakes: 20 creepy cupcakes & “spooktacular” cakes
- 20 Halloween cocktails: Defrightful drinks, creepy cocktails and spooky shots
- Creepy treats and scary snacks ideas for Halloween
- Celebrate Halloween with 15 Creepy Movies