Despite the famous groundhog's annual prediction, cold weather still prevails for most of the country. If you need a little something to warm you up on a chilly winter's day, how does cozying up with a delicious cup of mulled wine sound right about now? March 3 is National Mulled Wine Day, an annual food holiday that celebrates mulled wine.
Enjoyed for centuries throughout Europe, mulled wine is typically made with red wine, infused with a variety of aromatic spices and served nice and warm. Mulled cider or wassail is an alcohol-free version.
In honor of National Mulled Wine Day, why not whip up one or two of the mulled wine recipes listed below?
11 Mulled Wine Recipes
- Easy Mulled Wine - This 5-star recipe calls for ground cloves, cinnamon, an orange, sugar and a bottle of red wine. You'll also need a large stainless steel or enameled pot.
- Hot Mulled Wine - Vin Chaud - This fabulous recipe, from the fabulous David Lebovitz, calls for one bottle of red wine, fresh ginger, green cardamom pods, whole cloves, mild-flavored honey, star anise and Pear Williams or another eau-de-vie.
- My Mama's Marvelous Mulled Wine - This recipe calls for spices, brown sugar, sweet Portuguese wine and a little brandy.
- Mulled Wine - This 5-star recipe from Ina Garten, calls for a variety of spices, honey, apple cider, oranges and one bottle of red wine.
- Warm Mulled Wine - Wow. You'll need whole cloves, cinnamon sticks, star anise, cardamom pods, ginger, an orange, whole almonds, raisins, sugar, vodka, red wine and ruby port.
- Mulled Wine - This recipe, from Booze Menus, calls for cinnamon sticks, sugar, orange, cloves, red wine and brandy.
- Martha Stewart's Mulled Wine - This recipe calls for brandy, red fruity wine, sugar, cinnamon sticks, allspice berries, whole cloves and black peppercorns.
- Mulled Wine Granita - Top this beverage with some whipped cream!
- Pomegranate + Ginger Mulled Wine - This fun recipe, from A Beautiful Mess, calls for one bottle of red wine, honey, pomegranate juice and seeds, ginger and cinnamon sticks. Yum.
- Crockpot Mulled Wine - You'll need allspice, cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, white sugar, orange juice, oranges and two bottles of dry red wine. Don't forget the crockpot!
- Mulled Wine Jelly - While you can't drink this fabulous recipe, a little mulled wine jelly on a piece of toast will keep you nice and toasty.