When it comes to holidays, March 13 is a real gem! It's National Jewel Day, an annual holiday that celebrates magnificent sparklers of all shapes, sizes, cuts and colors. While the origins of this holiday are unknown, chances are pretty good a jeweler or gal came up with the idea. After all, diamonds are a girl's best friend, right?
While various trends come and go, people have been wearing jewelry for centuries. Early pieces of jewelry were made from stones, bones, teeth and shells. Over the years, jewelry has been worn for functional purposes, protection against various dangers, signs of political strength, decorations and as status symbols.
Whether it's precious or semi-precious, ladies love jewelry. Today is the perfect excuse to get your bling on!
How to Celebrate National Jewel Day
- Whether it's a necklace, ring, bracelet, pin or earring, buy a new piece of jewelry - duh!
- Learn all about your favorite gemstone.
- What are the 4 C's?
- Do you know what your birthstone is?
- Whether its your wife, mom, daughter or BFF, purchase a piece of jewelry for that special lady in your life.
- Wear that sparkly gem you save for special occasions.
- If you are the creative type, why not design or make your own jewelry?
- Visit a museum and head straight for the jewelry section.
- Why buy new when you can have a piece of history? Pick up a sparkling gem at a local antique shop.
- If you are in London, why not check out the Crown Jewels?