If the winter blues have got you down-in-the-dumps, how does a warm and tasty beverage sound right about now? If you're in the mood to tickle your taste buds, go grab your mug. According to a Jan. 24 article published by the Village Voice, National Irish Coffee Day is Jan. 25 and Americans are ready to celebrate! This annual holiday celebrates Irish Coffee, a popular cocktail typically made with black coffee, sugar, whipped cream and Irish whiskey.
Folks have been enjoying Irish Coffee for decades. Legend has it that restaurant owner/bartender Joe Sheridan invented the concoction in Ireland back in 1942 for a group of cold and weary travelers. He described his drink as "cream as rich as an Irish brogue, coffee as strong as a friendly hand, sugar sweet as the tongue of a rouge and whiskey smooth as the wit of the land" and the rest, as they say, is history.
Celebrate National Irish Coffee Day 2014
- In honor of National Irish Coffee Day, McCormick & Schmick's will be servin' up their "World Famous Irish Coffee" for $5 all day long on Jan. 25, 2014.
- Fast Eddies will also be celebrating the delicious holiday all day long with $4 Irish Coffees on Jan. 25, 2014.
Irish Coffee Day Recipes
- Original Irish Coffee - This recipe, from The Food Network, calls for freshly brewed hot coffee, brown sugar, Irish whiskey and heavy cream.
- Irish Coffee with Homemade Irish Cream - This decadent recipe, from Foodista, calls for Irish whiskey, Irish Cream liqueur, hot coffee, milk, instant coffee, chocolate syrup, sweetened condensed milk, chocolate shavings and almond and vanilla extracts.
- Irish Coffee Martini - You'll need Irish whiskey, sugar, espresso, heavy cream and green whipped cream for this delish drink.
- Coffee Cream Martinis - This recipe calls for sugar, chocolate syrup, vodka, Bailey's Irish Cream and Kahlua.
- Irish Coffee Cupcakes - Irish Coffee in a sweet treat? Now we're talking!
Jan. 25 is also National Opposite Day – Or is it?