National Hug Day was created by Rev. Kevin Zaborney in 1986. This day has since been celebrated annually and continues to grow internationally, it is observed this Monday, Jan. 21. Zaborney wanted to help people show their emotions in public and spread more love throughout America.
With all the drama going on nowadays in this crazy but beautiful world, huggers are an endangered species. Help love grow and participate in National Hug Day. Hug your family and loved ones today and remember to do it more often from now on.
A famous quote associated with National Hug Day is, “You can’t wrap love in a box, but you can wrap a person in a hug.” The author of the quote is unknown.
The official National Hug Day website names the most huggable people annually. This year, Scott Van Duzer takes the crown. Duzer is the owner of Big Apple Pizza & Pasta Italian Restaurant in Fort Pierce, Florida. Duzer’s restaurant received the visit of President Obama and surprised everyone by greeting the Obama with a giant bear hug, picking him up. According to the site, this makes him the most huggable person of 2013.
Past winner in 2012, and still one of the most huggable people, is Ellen DeGeneres. DeGeneres is a beloved talk show host and comedian. She is seen hugging her guests, friends, and family and spreading kindness on her show every day.
Besides feeling loved, hugs and other forms of human contact (handshakes and high fives) are important for healthy relationships. The warm feeling people get from hugs helps build a healthy immune system, reducing the risk of heart disease and stress.
Here are five types of hugs you can try out today:
- The Back to Front Hug – hugging a person from behind, great for showing a loved one that you’ll always have their back.
- The Bear Hug – the strongest hug there is, remember to squeeze gently. Mostly given when excited or to show strong affection.
- The Cheek Hug – this hug is perfect for greetings or for those who don’t like to hug tightly, simply lean in for a hug until your cheeks touch.
- The Side to Side Hug – the most common hug out there, you can share this with anyone because it’s not too personal.
- The Heart Centered Hug – the cutest hug there is, intimate and uplifting! Hug for a few seconds.
Visit the official National Hug Day page online.
© 2013 Sandra Perez, All rights reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced in any way without prior permissions from the author or Clarity Digital Group LLC d/b/a