If you're in the mood for food, go grab your fork! April 12 is National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day, also known as National Grilled Cheese Day. Hooray! Enjoyed for centuries, these tasty sandwiches typically are made with three simple ingredients - slices of cheese layered between two slices of buttered bread.
National Grilled Cheese Day
When it comes to comfort food, nothing quite hits the spot like an ooey, gooey grilled cheese sandwich. While the origins of this annual food holiday are unknown, grilled cheese sandwiches are simple to make and delicious to eat. Whether you prefer yours the old-fashioned way or prefer a gourmet-style, why not celebrate the occasion with one or two of the recipes below?
Gourmet Grilled Cheese Recipes
- Ultimate Grilled Cheese - If the Pioneer Woman says it's "ultimate," it's ultimate!
- Meridian Cafe's Gourmet Grilled Cheese Recipe - You'll need sharp white cheddar, Swiss, Provolone cheese, bacon, butter, Roma tomatoes, avocado and hearty bread for this recipe.
- Pizza Grilled Cheese - Pizza and grilled cheese? Mmmm.
- Avocado Grilled Cheese - Holy smokes! This recipe looks amazing!
- Hickory Smoked Gouda Grilled Cheese - If you enjoy a good Gouda, check this recipe out from Two Maids a Milking!
- Mozzarella Grilled Cheese - This 5-star recipe, from Tyler Florence, calls for sourdough bread, fresh Mozzarella, plum tomatoes, fresh basil pesto, salt and pepper and extra-virgin olive oil.
- Smoked Gouda and Roasted Red Pepper Grilled Cheese - You'll need smoke Gouda, Muenster, a jar of roasted red peppers, baby arugula, unsalted butter and Pullman bread for this one.
- The Solstice Sandwich - This recipe calls for whole wheat bread, Fig jam, fresh Chevre, pecans, sage leaves, granulated sugar, salt and vegetable oil.
- Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich - You'll need shredded chicken, hot sauce, mayo, carrots, celery, onions, bread, butter and cheddar and blue cheeses for this recipe.
- Gourmet Grilled Cheese - This recipe calls for eggs, Romano, fresh Chevre, tomato and eight slices of bread.
- Bacon, Egg and Maple Grilled Cheese - If you're tired of the same ole' ho-hum breakfast, try this recipe on for size.
- Maple Monsieur - You'll need Pullman-style bread, Maple smoked ham, Raclette cheese and butter for this sandwich.
- Egg in a Hole Grilled Cheese - You'll need sourdough bread, unsalted butter, Canadian bacon, Swiss cheese, honey mustard and an egg for this dish.
- Irish Grilled Cheese - "I-rish" I had this sandwich right now! You'll need Rye bread, Irish Mustard (or Dijon), aged Irish cheddar, pickles and butter for this delish sandwich from The Pioneer Woman.
- French Onion Grilled Cheese - Soup and a sandwich in one bite! Genius!
- Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese Recipe - Kick things up a little with this 5-star recipe from Jeff Mauro.
Enjoy! April 12 is also National Licorice Day.