Have you heard the news? According to the White House Office of the Press Secretary report published on Sept. 6, 2013, United States President Barack Obama has issued a Presidential Proclamation declaring Sept. 8, 2013, National Grandparents Day!
For many of us, grandparents are one of the most special people in our lives. National Grandparents Day is an annual holiday that not only celebrates and honors grandparents all across America, but also shines the spotlight on the very special bond between grandchildren and grandparents. This annual holiday is celebrated each year on the first Sunday following Labor Day in September.
When is National Grandparents Day?
- September 8, 2013
- September 14, 2014
- September 13, 2015
- September 11, 2016
National Grandparents Day History
After working with seniors for many years, Marian Herndon McQuade encouraged children and families to take the time to visit elderly relatives, shut-ins and seniors living in nursing homes and also encouraged people to adopt a grandparent.
McQuade launched a grassroots campaign to honor grandparents with a special day of the year and in 1973, West Virginia Governor Arch Moore proclaimed the very first National Grandparents Day. A few years later, United States President Jimmy Carter signed Public Law 96-62 into law, designating the first Sunday of September following Labor Day as National Grandparents Day.
Grandparents not only are beloved members of the family, they also play a pivotal role in society. According to the U.S. Census, 7 million grandparents in the United States had grandchildren under the age of 18 living with them in 2011.
In honor of National Grandparents Day, some restaurants, businesses and attractions will be offering delicious meals, special deals and free and reduced admission across the country. Treat that special person in your life with one of the deals listed below.
National Grandparents Day 2013 Free Meals & Special Deals
- Free Entree at Old Spaghetti Factory - Once again, participating Old Spaghetti Factory locations will be servin' up "free" lunch or dinner entrees, with a purchased entree, for grandma and grandpa on Sept. 8, 2013. Just mention Grandparents Day to your server, bring in the printable flyer or display it on your smartphone for this special offer - dine-in only.
- White Castle Meal Deal - Once again, participating White Castle locations will be offering grandparents four Original Sliders for a buck, with any purchase for your grandchild. Plus, the first 100 customers will receive a Free Paper Cap, too! Be sure to bring the printable coupon with you - one per visit.
- Burtons Grill Meal Deal - Burtons Grill will also be participating again this year by offering a special deal for seniors 65 and over. Seniors and grandparents will receive a 50 percent discount on dine-in entrees on Sept. 8, 2013.
- Visit the Zoo - Many zoos around the nation will be offering special deals on admission in honor of National Grandparents Day! For instance, the Toledo Zoo, Brevard Zoo, Oakland Zoo, Zoo Atlanta, Pittsburgh Zoo and the Buffalo Zoo, will all be offering free or reduced admission for grandparents on Sept. 8, 2013.
- Free Old Sturbridge Village Admission - Take a step back in time at the Old Sturbridge Village in Massachusetts. Visit the animals, stroll through the historic buildings and watch the craftsmen do their thing. Grandparents will get free admission, when accompanied by a grandchild, on Sept. 8, 2013, from 9:30 - 5:00 p.m.
- Free Grandparents are Awesome Printable - This free printable from Paper Coterie is perfect for grandma or grandpa.
- Free Grandparents Day Card - Download the free 5 x 7 card template and stick on your favorite photograph. Voila!
Happy National Grandparents Day!