Friday, June 6, 2014, is the "the world's biggest heavy metal holiday", the International Day of Slayer. Almost a decade ago, this event grew out of a parody of the National Day of Prayer and the ominous date of 6/6/06, but it has since caused an sensation among fans worldwide. It also remains a poignant benchmark with the passing of guitarist Jeff Hanneman in 2013. The homepage recommends the following:
- Listen to Slayer at full blast in your car.
- Listen to Slayer at full blast in your home.
- Listen to Slayer at full blast at your place of employment.
- Listen to Slayer at full blast in any public place you prefer.
- DO NOT use headphones! The objective of this day is for everyone within earshot to understand that it is the National Day of Slayer. National holidays in America aren't just about celebrating; they're about forcing it upon non-participants.
According to the site, they have full endorsement from Slayer themselves, and have pulled numerous publicity stunts, including petitioning President Obama to acknowledge the event as an official holiday. A copy of 'Reign in Blood' was mailed to the White House for the President's listening pleasure.
You know the deal - don't go to work, listen to Slayer. Hail Hanneman!
For more info: Visit the International Day of Slayer website at www.nationaldayofslayer.org