June 14 is National Cucumber Day, an annual food holiday that celebrates cucumbers. These easy to grow and delicious to eat perennials are one of the most popular things to grow in the garden. Just how popular are they? Cucumbers are so important, they even get their own year! 2014 is the Year of the Cucumber!
Native to India, Cucumis sativus belong to the same botanical group as watermelon, cantaloupe and squash. Available in different colors and sizes and comprised of mostly water, cukes have even been grown in space as well as one mile under the ground in a nickel mine.
In honor of this tasty event, why not whip up one or two of the refreshing cucumber-inspired cocktails below?
Cucumber Cocktails & Drinks
- Cucumber Caipiranha – This pretty-in-pink drink calls for cucumber, lime, raw turbinado sugar, white rum, club soda and ice.
- Racer X - This frozen cocktail calls for cucumber, seedless grapes and X-Rated Fusion Liqueur.
- Frozen Cucumber Margarita - You'll need tequila, triple sec, simple syrup, lime, fresh mint, cucumber and ice for this refreshing beverage.
- Cucumber Cocktail – This 5-star cocktail, from Bobby Flay, calls for cucumber vodka, tonic water, cucumber juice, lime juice and simple syrup.
- Daphne Oz’s Chilled Cucumber Lime Cocktail – This recipe calls for vodka, mint leaves, lime juice, ice and a Hot House Cucumber.
- Cucumber Coolers – This cocktail, from the Minimalist Baker, includes step-by-step photo instructions and looks divine!
- Cucumber Gin Cooler – You’ll need fresh lime juice, cucumber, tonic water, lime wedges and gin.
- Cucumber Gin Tonic – You’ll need Hendricks Gin, tonic water and a couple of slices of cucumber. Pour in an old-fashioned glass.
- Cucumber, Basil & Lime Gimlet – This 5-star cocktail calls for fresh basil, cucumber, Moon Mountain Vodka, Lemonade and lime juice.
The fine folks at Hendrick's Gin have provided a few tasty cocktails in honor of the occasion. Handcrafted in Scotland, this popular gin combines a blend of 11 botanicals, including cucumber and rose, resulting in a delightfully unique taste and aroma.
Hendrick’s Cucumber Lemonade
- 3 parts Hendrick's Gin
- 2 parts fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 parts simple syrup
- Sparkling Water
- Combine ingredients in a long glass.
- Add ice and top with sparkling water.
- Stir gently.
- Garnish with a cucumber spear or wedge.
- 5 parts of Hendrick’s Gin
- 1 part Dry Vermouth (Lillet Blanc suggested)
- Cucumber wheel
- Stir in an iced glass until well chilled.
- Strain into a chilled martini glass.
- Garnish with a cucumber wheel and serve.