Created by freelance writer, cocktail enthusiast and the "Queen of Holidays," Jace Shoemaker-Galloway, this "spirited" holiday celebrates the sophisticated yet simple-to-make and delicious to drink, Cosmo cocktail.
While its origins are debatable, the drink has been around for decades.
- "The Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars: 1903-1933" published a Cosmopolitan Daisy recipe that called for gin, Cointreau, lemon and raspberry syrup.
- In 1985, The Strand's head bartender, Cheryl Cook, created a "new drink for the Martini glass." Cook combined the new product, Absolut Citron, with triple sec, Rose's Lime Juice and a splash of cranberry juice and named her new concoction after the stylish Cosmopolitan Magazine.
- But when the Cosmo became the cocktail of choice for the fabulous ladies in the fictional Sex and the City television series, the Cosmopolitan became a cocktail sensation around the nation.
Typically made with vodka, lime and cranberry juices, today there are many delicious variations of the Cosmo. In honor of the occasion, why not invite a few of your favorite BFF's over for a Cosmopolitan party and shake up one or two of the fabulous Cosmo cocktail recipes listed below?
20 Fabulous Cosmopolitan Cocktail Recipes
- Classic Cosmopolitan - This classic recipe calls for vodka, Cointreau, cranberry juice, lime juice and crushed ice for this classic drink from Taste.
- Cosmopolitan - This recipe calls for vodka, triple sec, 100 percent unsweetened cranberry juice and Rose's lime juice.
- Cosmopolitan - This version, from Ina Garten, calls for vodka, triple sec, fresh lime juice and cranberry juice.
- Lady's Leg Cosmopolitan - This drink is a real kick! No wonder it's one of the 10 most amazing cocktails in the world! Instead of cranberry juice, you'll need homemade cranberry sorbet, sparkling champagne, orange zest, crushed ice and a fabulous leg-shaped shaker.
- Cosmopolitan #6 - You'll need vodka, watermelon vodka, triple sec, Rose's Lime Juice, sweet and sour mix and cranberry juice for this variation.
- Absolut Cosmopolitan - This cocktail recipe calls for Absolut Citron, lime juice, orange liqueur, cranberry juice and a twist of orange.
- Easy Frozen Cosmopolitan - This frozen cocktail recipe calls for cranberry juice, fresh lime juice, orange or citrus vodka, triple sec, lime wedge and ice. You'll need a blender for this one.
- Cranberry Cosmopolitan - This recipe, from Martha Stewart, calls for Cranberry and Orange Vodka, cranberry juice, fresh lime juice, Cointreau, orange peel and cranberries for garnish.
- Chambord Cosmopolitan - This popular recipe calls for Finlandia Vodka, Chambord, orange liqueur, cranberry and lime juice.
- Rediscovered Cherry Cosmo - You'll need Smirnoff Black Cherry vodka, white cranberry juice, Cointreau and a splash of fresh lime juice for this white version from Cosmopolitan Magazine.
- Cucumber Cosmopolitan - This pretty drink calls for gin, Cointreau, cucumber juice, fresh lime juice, cranberry juice and a slice of cucumber for garnish.
- The French Cosmo - This recipe calls for vodka, pineapple juice, cassis and a pineapple slice for garish.
- Pear Cosmo - Pear-flavored vodka, Cointreau or Triple Sec, fresh lime juice, white cranberry juice cocktail, ice and a slice of fresh pear.
- Very Berry Cosmo - You'll need Van Gogh Acai-Blueberry Vodka, Chambord, triple sec, cranberry juice and fresh blueberries for this cocktail from Colleen Graham.
- Rosemary Infused Cosmopolitan - This version includes a rosemary simple syrup.
- Upgraded Cosmopolitan - This refreshing recipe calls for citrus vodka, cranberry sorbet, Cointreau, fresh lime juice and Brut sparkling wine.
- Blood Orange Cosmopolitan - You'll need vodka, Cointreau, fresh lime juice, bitters, cranberry juice and Schweppes Agrum Collection Blood Orange for this drink from Cocktail Revolution.
- Kombucha Cosmopolitan - This drink calls for citrus vodka, orange-flavored liqueur, plain or cranberry kombucha, pure cranberry juice and fresh lime juice to taste.
- Cosmo Cocktail Sausages - Just in case you're hungry!
- Cosmo Cocktail Cookie Bars - Yep, these delightful cookies have a splash of vodka in them! 'Nuff said!
Happy National Cosmopolitan Day! Cheers!
And as always, please drink responsibly!