This easy bread is pretty foolproof.
Mom used Mexican blend cheese for this version.
Find everything you need to make this bread at your local Meijer.
- 1 pkg yeast
- 1 cup very warm water
- 2 T butter, melted
- 1 t sugar
- 1 t salt
- 3 cups flour, plus extra as needed for kneading
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (use your favorite)
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in the water. Let stand for 5 minutes, or til the yeast is frothy. Whisk in butter, sugar and salt mixing well to prevent clumps.
- Slowly add the flour to the yeast mixture mixing til a ball forms. Knead in bowl 5 minutes or til smooth and elastic.
- Place the kneaded dough in a separate buttered bowl; cover with a towel and let rise in a warm, dry place til doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Roll out dough into a large rectangle so that the long side is perpendicular to your body. Add cheese and roll back up.
- Place dough in a buttered large loaf pan; cover and let rise til doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Bake bread about 30 minutes or til bread sounds hollow when tapped.
- Invert and cool on a rack.
- Slice and serve with lots of butter.
- Variation: brush with butter immediately after removing from the oven.