NASCAR fans plan to sue after being injured in a crash during a race over the weekend. On Feb. 26, WFTV reported that some of the injured fans have obtained lawyers since Saturday's accident. Thirty-three people were injured when one of the race cars flew up the side of a wall following a multi-car crash on the track.
According to WFTV, a customer service rep from NASCAR has been going to the local hospital on a daily basis, checking in on the injured fans and trying to make their recovery as comfortable as possible. However, that's not stopping some fans from considering filing lawsuits from their hospital beds.
NASCAR fans planning to sue do indeed have a case according to attorney Matt Morgan. "No fan assumes the risk of a car flying in the stands and suffering a significant injury," Morgan said. He has been hired by three victims so far who hope that he will be able to help them win a legal battle against the car racing giant.
Morgan says that he is going to focus on the fence and question the safety features of that fence. The manufacturers may also be brought in to this. Since the track wasn't safe in this instance, victims may be able to win their lawsuits -- at least that's what they are hoping.
The fans that are planning to sue NASCAR have not been offered any money from NASCAR that the public knows about.
© Effie Orfanides 2013