The beauty of the Valley attracts people all year-round. It is no surprise that many people come to Napa Valley to celebrate a romantic weekend. This weekend in particular the Valley is bursting with romantic celebrations for all to enjoy. After the recent rain event, we can see green rolling hills and flowering mustards. Nature will bring us spring-like weather conditions the next few days, and it promises to be a great weekend. Whether you are considering visiting for one day, or for the entire weekend Napa Valley has plenty to offer. There are over 450 wineries in the Valley, and if you are here to enjoy the wines these are few alternatives you may want to consider whenever you want to stop by for a visit.
- Tres Sabores Winery – This is a small family-owned winery, located on the western end of Rutherford. The winery is California certified organic. Their wines are well balanced, elegant, fruit forward and consistent year after year. They grow Zinfandel, Cabernet, Petite Sirah and Petit Verdot grapes, olives, Meyer lemons and exotic pomegranates. Do not miss their single-vineyard wines Tres Sabores Estate Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauvignon and Sauvignon Blanc from the Farina Vineyard of Sonoma Mountain, and their delightful ¿Por qué No? (an extremely well-made blend of Zinfandel, Petite Sirah, Cabernet, and Petit Verdot). Call in advance to make a reservation, and plan to stay for a picnic in their pet-friendly grounds.
- Ehlers Estate Winery - Ehlers Estate is a one-hundred percent certified organic and biodynamic winery with classic Bordeaux style wines. The winery operates as a small family farm, producing only estate-grown wines. In addition to be in the forefront of environmentally friendly farming practices, the Estate is owned by the non-profit Leducq Foundation (founded by Jean Leducq and his wife Sylviane, owners of the Estate since 1985). Today, the Foundation awards over $30 million annually in support to international cardiovascular research. Wines produced by the Estate are a reflection of the terroir. Do not miss their Cabernet Franc, the beautiful Sylviane Cabernet Franc Rosé, and One Twenty Over Eighty Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Phifer Pavitt - Hidden in the hills of Silverado Trail, near Calistoga, you will find a rustic cowgirl sculpture announcing the entrance of Phifer Pavitt. Their tastefully decorated tasting room is housed in the second floor of an old Napa Valley farm moved from Franz Valley, CA. Phifer Pavitt Wines is a dream come true for Suzanne Phifer and Shane Pavitt, who moved to the Napa Valley in 2001 and after several years of "date nights" came with the idea of their own Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. Their wines are produced from organically grown grapes from Temple Family Vineyard's, Lakespring Ranch in Pope Valley. They produce two spectacular wines: Date Night Sauvignon Blanc and Date Night Cabernet Sauvignon. Call in advance to make a reservation.
- Castello di Amorosa – Castello di Amorosa is the dream of Dario Sattui, V. Sattui's owner, who constructed this authentically-styled, 13th century, Tuscan castle and winery. The winery produce primarily Italian style wines that reflect California's unique climate, soil and growing conditions. The property seats on one hundred-seventy acres of forests and hills, near Calistoga. While there, you will be mesmerized by the authentic Italian medieval artifacts brought to recreate the castle, and authentic architecture. Their tasting room is considered one of most beautiful Tasting Rooms in Napa Valley. Do not miss their Dry Gewürztraminer, GIOIA (Rosato di Sangiovese), Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley Sangiovese, and Napa Valley Merlot. Call in advance to make a reservation.
- Frank Family Vineyards – Nestled in Calistoga, between Silverado Trail and California Hwy 29, the winery is now what use to be the Larkmead Winery circa 1884. The original winery building still stands today, and it is considered an archetype of California’s wine country, and it appears on the National Register of Historical Places and is listed as a Point of Historical Interest in the state of California. Owned by Richard and Connie Frank since 1992, they focus on still wines. Wines are produced in small quantities and are currently sold at the winery and a few specialty retailers. They also produce few delicious Sparkling Wines. Do not miss their Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, Sangiovese, and especially their “Zinfully” delicious Napa Valley Zinfandel. Call in advance to make a reservation and bring your picnic basket along to enjoy a relaxing time at their pet-friendly picnic grounds.
- Peju Province- With a beautiful garden and great art, this great winery is conveniently located in Hwy 29, in the heart of Napa Valley. Most of The Peju wines can only be found at the Winery. People know their wines not only because their awards and accolades but because people that taste them become quick fans. Their tasting room, inside the Peju Tower, is beautiful, and guests are received by a group of veteran wine educators, which are part of the Peju experience. Do not miss their Carnival (made with French Colombard), Provence (a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot Zinfandel, Chardonnay and French Colombard), Cabernet Franc, and Tess (a refreshing Red and White blend).
This is just a taste of great wineries along the Valley. Many wineries have especial events to celebrate with your Valentine throughout the weekend. Few events you may want to try:
- Artesa Winery - Valentine’s Day Weekend Chocolate, Tapas & Wine Tasting
- Etude Vineyards – Perfect Duo
- Trefethen Family Vineyards – Savory & Sweet
- Black Stallion Winery – Valentine’s Oyster and Wine Pairing
- Silverado Vineyards – Wine and Chocolate
- Beringer Vineyards – Presidential Pairings
- Peju Province - Valentine's Wine and Chocolate Tasting