As the debate on gun control rages on in the nation, and will only get worse as pro- gun advocates vow to defy any laws restricting them of their second amendment right to keep and bear arms, New Jersey voters back gun control measures in a poll released on Jan. 24, 2013, by the Quinnipiac University.
New Jersey voters favor a broad range of gun-control measures and by a smaller 50 - 38 percent margin say that private gun ownership puts people at risk rather than protects them from crime. The Garden State is already one of the strictest states when it comes to gun control.
The poll showed the following data:
58 percent want stricter gun laws in the state, with 8 percent calling for less strict laws and 29 percent saying keep the current laws;
Favor 70 - 26 percent a nationwide ban on high-capacity magazines.
Favor 69 - 27 percent a nationwide ban on assault weapons.
Favor 96 - 3 percent requiring background checks for gun purchases at gun shows.
Favor 78 - 20 percent a federal database to track all gun sales.
Favor 92 - 5 percent preventing people with mental illness from buying guns.
Favor 50 - 44 percent placing armed police in public schools.
I like the one where 92 percent favor preventing people with a mental illness from buying guns; it makes you wonder what the other 8 percent are thinking.
Among those who were polled who already own a gun in NJ, 30 percent want stricter gun laws, with 23 percent for less strict laws and 46 percent who want to keep laws as they are. These voters are less supportive of other gun measures.
Gun control in Jersey will be an issue in the race for Governor, as Democratic challenger Barbara Buono supports tighter restrictions and Governor Christie has stated in the past that he feels that the state already has enough gun laws.