Skip to main content
  1. Life
  2. Pets
  3. Pet Rescue

Mystery of disappearing socks solved: Vet finds 44 socks Great Dane swallowed

See also

In Portland, Oregon, veterinarian Ashley Magee operated on a three-year-old Great Dane who had been repeatedly vomiting and no longer wanted to eat. The dog's x-rays revealed foreign matter in her stomach, but who would have guessed there were 43 1/2 socks in her gut according to OregonLive.com.

The incident happened last February, but Dr. Magee's famous and definitely odd operation became well known after she entered the case into "They Ate What?" a veterinarian contest with an industry publication. Unfortunately Dr. Magee only won third prize of $500; losing out to a frog who ate rocks, and a German shorthaired pointer who downed a shish kabob skewer (meat and vegetables and all).

Well, that certainly socks! Alas, the mystery of where all of the singular socks everyone thought the dryer aliens ate has now been solved. Check your dog's stomach or your kids' backpacks.

Nevertheless, the Great Dane is fine after the two hour operation.

Doesn't it seem our canine friends as well as our other companions from the animal kingdom just like to keep us guessing?

If you would like to continue receiving the latest news on pet issues and how we can help those who cannot speak, please click the "Subscribe" icon.

Follow the National Pet Rescue Examiner on Facebook by clicking here. Please visit and "like" my page. You are welcome to submit story ideas by contacting me at cdhanna9703@aol.com.

Advertisement