Skip to main content
Report this ad

My new ride

My new (to me) 1993 Suzuki Intruder.  Although the old bike served me well, the pain that she caused my knee was just too much.
My new (to me) 1993 Suzuki Intruder. Although the old bike served me well, the pain that she caused my knee was just too much.
Chris Brotherton

A little over a month ago, I sold my motorcycle. It is a little difficult being MotoMan without a moto. So, I was on the hunt for a new bike.

The only reason that I sold the old bike was because the seating position hurt my left knee. A combination of tearing it up while mountain biking as a kid, and trying to tuck it underneath me while riding was just causing me too much pain. I needed something with a more relaxed seating position.

For a two week period of time, another friend of mine and I spent hours scouring Craigslist looking for something that met my criteria. I wanted a cruiser style bike, 750cc’s or larger, preferably a V-twin and within my price range. Everything that we found that came close to matching that description was either sold by the time we found it, or the seller never got back to us.

In a fit of frustration, I turned to Facebook. I posted my preferences for a motorcycle, mentioned that I was flexible on some things, as long as it would suit my needs. “If you have anything or know anyone with anything, please contact me.”

Within about 20 minutes, a friend of mine from Newport, Ore. messaged me. He said that he had a 1993 Suzuki Intruder 800 that he was willing to let go for $900. I had looked at the Intruders on Craigslist, as I had sat on one before and found it to be very comfortable. However, I couldn’t find them for less than $2500. Out of my price range.

I called Scott Schroeder, the owner of this Intruder. “Does it run?”

“Of course. I went through it myself.”

“Would it make it from Newport to Corvallis?”

He laughed a little then answered with, “I am positive that it will. I am liquidating my motorcycle stuff.”

The bike had been a trade in and Scott was just sitting on it. This was Tuesday night. I told him that I would see him on Thursday, rain or shine.

Thursday morning I threw my riding gear into the back seat of my car, picked up my friend Rob Coates (the one who was looking through Craigslist with me) and headed to Newport. I was a little nervous thinking about riding home in the horrible weather that was supposed to be on its way.

Once I found Scott’s shop, he showed me the bike. It had a little oxidation here and there, but nothing that would hinder its performance. Then he stuck the key in it and fired it up. It purred to life with the loping idle that is common with V-twins, and an exhaust note that weakened my knees. Then he told me to take it for a test ride.

I knew I wanted it before I reached the end of the block. However, I had to take it out to the highway to see what it would do. Once I cleared the last light heading east, I opened it up. It jumped to 70mph as fast as I could bang the gears. I couldn’t wipe the smile off my face.

After my test ride, I gladly handed over the cash, and Scott handed me the title, a brand new front tire and a shop manual for it. I thanked him profusely, as he both provided me with a bike that fits me and alleviated the headache that I was getting from shopping around.

But the best part is that when I got back to Corvallis, I had no pain in my knee. Finally, I could enjoy riding a motorcycle again.


Report this ad