If you watched "Sound of Music Live," you heard Carrie Underwood sing "My Favorite Things." The delicious tune includes "cream colored ponies and crisp apple strudels; Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles."
So what's the calorie damage from that strudel and schnitzel? If you follow the standard recipe:
- One piece of crisp apple strudel is about 200 calories.
- One serving of schnitzel with noodles contains more than 400 calories.
What can you do if you're on a diet and want to savor the joys of "My Favorite Things?" Try these tips below:
- Usually made with pork or chicken, schnitzel with noodles also typically is accompanied by cabbage. You can make a reduced calorie version by featuring steamed cabbage sauteed in reduced sodium, fat free chicken broth with diced onion and pepper. Add skinless chicken breast and try zero-calorie Miracle Noodle Pasta, Angel Hair (click for details).
- Apple strudel is made with puff pastry, apples, raisins and ingredients ranging from cinnamon and sugar to rum. You can make a reduced calorie version by coring a Rome Beauty apple and filling it with a mixture of chopped raisins, chopped walnuts, apple juice and cinnamon. Bake until it oozes juice, then top with crushed graham crackers. Or, try Hungry Girl's recipe below.
Hungry Girl, also known as Lisa Lillien, recently appeared on Dr. Mehmet Oz's talk show to share delights from her new cookbook: "Hungry Girl 200 Under 200 Just Desserts: 200 Recipes Under 200 Calories" (click for details).
The recipe below is from that cookbook.
Ooey-Gooey Apple Pie Cones
Makes 5 servings (Serving size: 1 cone)
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups peeled and chopped Fuji apples
- 1 tbsp granulated white sugar
- 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 5 sugar cones
- 1/2 cup of low-fat whipped topping
In a small nonstick pan, combine cornstarch with 1/4 cup cold water and stir to dissolve. Add apples, sugar, vanilla, and salt. Add 1/2 tsp cinnamon and stir well.
Set heat to medium. Stirring frequently, cook until apples have slightly softened and mixture is thick and gooey, 14 to 16 minutes.
Transfer to medium bowl, and let cool completely, about 1 hour. Evenly distribute apple mixture among the cones.
Just before serving, top each cone with 2 tbsp of whipped topping. Sprinkle remaining cinnamon on top. Mmmmm!
Nutritional Information: 84 calories.