Mush for a Cure is not a race, it is an outrageously fun event to celebrate the sport of dog mushing, capping off a winter of hard work, training and racing while raising funds to find a cure for breast cancer. Participants raise donations and checks are sent to the National Breast Cancer Foundation. To date Mush for a Cure has donated $100,000, and the goal this year is to raise another $50,000. This year’s event will be held on Friday and Saturday the 9th-10th March 2012.
This year the 2012 Mush for a Cure has Superior National Forest Gunflint District Ranger, Dennis Neitzke, putting his head on the line in the 3rd annual Bald, Brave and Beautiful contest. In addition, if Mush for a Cure raises $5,000 by 1 March 2012, Neitzke will color his hair pink for the 10 days leading up to the event.
If you wish to contribute to the fundraising you may donate online here: ActiveGiving.com Donations
2012 Schedule | Mush for a Cure…a sled dog FUNdraiser to find a cure for breast cancer
Friday – 9 March 2012 (All events take place at Windigo Lodge.)
- 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Pink Pasta Party(Sponsored by Upper Lakes Foods) Open to the general public wanting to meet the mushers running on Saturday that are in town and available on Friday night. Cost $6.00.
- 8:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. Pink Pajama PartyThere will be a Grand March for everyone who wishes to attend. Music to dance to provided by the Trail’s End Band as an appetizer to Saturday night’s Finisher’s Party.
- 9:00 p.m. Crowning the Queen and King
- 9:30 p.m. The Bald, the Brave and the Beautiful head shaving.
Saturday – 10 March 2012
- 9:00 a.m.: Mushers check-in and pancake and sausage feed at Gunflint Pines. Goodwill Donation requested. Open to the public.
- 10:00 a.m.: Watch the skijor teams start at the Cross River on the Gunflint Trail and finish at Gunflint Pines.
- 11:00 a.m.: Musher meeting on Gunflint Lake (location TBA).
- 12:00 noon: Mass sourdough start for the sled teams on Gunflint Lake.
- Noon-3:00 p.m.: Opportunities to see the dog teams along the trail.
- Suggested sites: Start: Gunflint Pines, Gunflint Resort; Along the trail: Gunflint Lake boat landing, Iron Lake Access, Old Gunflint Trail (both west and east ends); Poplar Lake: Windigo Lodge, Nor’wester Lodge; Finish at Trail Center Lodge
- 2:00 p.m.-6:00 p.m.: New this year, meet Minnesota’s Jack Sparrow. He’ll entertain children and grown-ups in front of Trail Center.
- 3:00 p.m.: HUMAN DOG SLED RACEteams of 4-6 people pulling sleds for the chance to win a “Booby Prize” and bragging rights.
- 2:00p.m.-4:00 p.m.-ish: Teams coming into the finish line at Trail Center Lodge. Finishers bonfire, hot dog/marshmallow roast and party tent sponsored by Trail Center Lodge. Awards ceremony will follow.
- 7:00 p.m. (or Dusk): New in 2012, the release of Memorial Sky Lanterns.
- 7:00 p.m.-1:00 a.m.: Hang out on the Gunflint Trail for a great time with Sarah and the gang at TRAIL CENTER and your mushing friends and dance the night away with D’Merritt!
For schedule updates and additional information visit: Mush for a Cure.
Please subscribe to get dog related articles, information, news, tips and more! Click “subscribe” or “RSS” – it’s FREE and anonymous. Thanks for reading and please share with your friends!