The August 30, 2014 Cool Summer Night event at the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum is themed Going Batty for the Museum's Birthday. This event allows you to experience the museum in the evening when the temperature tends to be cooler. Special activities at this Cool Summer Night include bat themed activities, bat talks, and birthday cakes.
The museum is also collecting donations for the Community Food Bank as part of this Cool Summer Night. Recommended items to donate include canned chicken & tuna in water, low-sodium canned vegetables, brown rice, whole grain pasta, natural peanut butter, dry or canned beans & lentils, whole grain cereals, and canned fruits in natural juices.
Schedule of Events
- 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. - Desert Museum Birthday Cakes Display: Bat themed cakes donated by Tucson bakeries will be on display before they are cut to eat.
- 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. - Children's Art Activities: There will be a variety of bat and night themed activities for kids to enjoy.
- 6:30 p.m. to 7:15 p.m. - All About Bats Presentation: This presentation is given by the museum's animal keeper, Crystal Holcombe. The presentation includes seeing a live bat up close.
- 7:45 p.m. - Desert Museum Birthday Celebration: The cakes will be cut and shared after singing "Happy Birthday."
- 8 p.m. to 8:45 p.m. - Touch Tank Experience: Hold sea animals in the Warden Aquarium,
- 8 p.m. to 9 p.m. - Nigh Photography Class
About the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum: The Desert Museum is open year round, although the hours vary. The hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. (no entry after 4:15 p.m.) October through February, 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. (no entry after 4:15 p.m.) March through September, and 7:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. (no entry after 3:45 p.m.) on Saturdays June through August. Admission is $19.50 for adults (18 to 64), $17.50 for seniors (65+), $15.50 for youth (13 to 17), and $6 for children (4 to 12). Ages 3 and under are always free.