MoAD will celebrate the national observance of the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s birthday as a Day of Service, providing free admission to the museum and programs throughout the day.
The museum will celebrate Dr. King through sharing dreams, stories and collaborative activities, focusing on the importance of free speech and diverse communities.
This will be the last day to view the special exhibit, " Desert Jewels: North African Jewelry and Photography from the Xavier Guerrand Hermès Collection."
Don’t miss one of the most popular celebrations and the closing day of the special exhibition
During his career at the Paris-based fashion empire Hermès, Xavier Guerrand-Hermès amassed a substantial collection of North African jewelry and a significant number of historical portraits of the people inhabiting this region around the turn of the twentieth century.
“Dessert Jewels” features 94 pieces of spectacular jewelry and 28 photographs from Algeria, Morocco, Egypt and Tunisia from his collection.
North African jewelry came to the attention of Western collectors in the 19th century, the period when archaeological monuments in North Africa were being discovered by European explorers.
The most important photographers of the day are represented in the exhibition, including Scotsman George Washington Wilson, the Neurdine brothers from France and the Turkish photographer Pascal Sabah.
They were among the many drawn to the region, fascinated by the people, their history and their art.
While the jewelry and photographs are beautiful, the texts are inadequate and leave the viewer hungry for more information.
• Free admission to the museum and free programming throughout the day
• African Drumming Ensemble (11a – 1p, 2p – 3p)
• Kids’ Art Projects (11a - 4p)
• Scavenger Hunt (11a – 5p)
• Films on Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (11a – 5p)
• The 411 on HCBUs (12p – 1p) – a presentation by HBCU campus tours
• College Fair (12p – 4p) - features representatives from Historically Black Colleges and Universities
• The Power Broker (2p – 4:30p) – film and panel discussion
• Sidewalk Chart Art with Jamie Treacy (1p – 3p)
WHAT: ScholarShare presents Martin Luther King, Jr. Family Free Day
WHAT IS YOUR DREAM? Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service
Monday, January 21, 2013 | 11a – 5p
WHERE: Museum of the African Diaspora, San Francisco, CA