When you hear the doctor say you must go gluten-free, your choices for food just took a major nosedive. As you try to maneuver your way through this new gluten-free diet and what foods you can and cannot have, chocoholics everywhere wonder if life will ever be the same.
The answer is no, life is changing; however, there are ways to get a great chocolate fix. The recipe is made with a gluten free rice square crisp cereal and it is really easy to make.
Gluten free munchy mocha
- 8 cups rice square cereal (Chex is gluten-free)
- 1/2cup butter
- 2tablespoons instant espresso coffee powder, granules or crystals
- 1cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1cup powdered sugar
- 1/2cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 4cups gluten-free pound cake pieces
- 1cup mascarpone cheese
- In large bowl, place cereal. In small microwavable bowl, microwave butter uncovered on High about 30 seconds or until melted. Stir in espresso; add chocolate chips. Microwave on High 30 seconds; stir. Continue microwaving and stirring until mixture is smooth. Pour chocolate mixture over cereal; toss until well coated.
- In large zip top plastic bag, mix powdered sugar and cocoa. Add cereal mixture and pound cake pieces; shake until evenly coated. Serve in individual bowls or glasses. Top with dollops of mascarpone cheese.
- Always read labels to make sure each recipe ingredient is gluten free. Products and ingredient sources can change.
- This recipe makes 24 servings.
- To help with portion control, when you have thoroughly shaken the snack mix, divide it into 24 zip top plastic baggies. It makes an easy grab and go snack or prevents over eating from a large bowl.
Changing your eating habits to eating a gluten-free diet will take time. Don’t get discouraged when you begin the changeover. This is a food journey that will last for the rest of your life; therefore you must find foods and snacks that will sustain and satisfy your appetite. Unfortunately, this is not a diet that will end when you reach a weight goal; it’s a lifestyle change. The good news: you can still have chocolate!
Thanks for reading Raleigh Food! Click here to subscribe to this column and you’ll get an email each time a new article is published.
Do you ever wish you had the chance to write articles about things that interest you? Look into Examiner! It’s a great way to make some extra money and it’s a lot of fun. Follow this link and see if it’s right for you!