The Mumbai building collapse that killed at least 66 people is now being blamed on a decorator who had a central wall and support beams removed from the first floor, CNN reported on Sept. 29.
The decorator in the Mumbai building collapse, Ashok Kumar Mehta, has now been arrested and charged with culpable homicide not amounting to murder. The charge is equal to that of unlawful negligent killing, Mumbai police said.
The decorator owns Mamamiya Decorators, and allegedly removed the wall and beams without permission, leading to the building collapse, the Times of India reported.
Meantime, rescue operations in the Mumbai building collapse have been called off, authorities said. The death toll on Sunday stood at 66.
The 5-story residential building, which is owned by Mumbai's city council, is home to clerical employees of the municipal council and their families. The Times said that about 21 families lived in the 30-year-old building, and that it had been in urgent need of repairs before it collapsed.
According to CNN, in the months before the Mumbai building collapse, residents had twice been asked to evacuate, apparently to no avail.