According to Matthews, Republicans -- who only control one part of the legislative branch -- want to shut the government down over sequestration because Obama is president.
"The fiscal abyss, the debt ceiling, the sequester, the end of the continuing resolution. Different words, different deadlines, all detonate the same explosion. They threaten to crash the government if they don't like the way it’s doing something, if they don’t like who the American people have elected as president," he said.
"Isn't that what the Republicans did back in the old days? If they didn't like a government somewhere - Guatemala, Iran, the Dominican Republic, Chile - they just brought it down," he added.
Now, Matthews claims that Republicans are doing the same thing at home.
"If they don't like who we’ve elected president, they find a way to undermine the government, discredit its leaders, whatever it takes to destroy it. We are using in this country the same old Cold War CIA tactics to destabilize our own country," he claimed.
Newsbusters' Noel Sheppard countered by saying Matthews "is starting to get completely unhinged."
Sheppard noted that Matthews ignored much of recent history to make these comments.
"For instance, it was Democrats that threatened a government shutdown in 1990 if George H.W. Bush didn't raise taxes. As such, this tactic is nothing new," he said.
Sheppard says none of the facts seem to matter to "folks like Matthews who are constantly blaming all the problems in the world on Republicans."
- MSNBC still network of insane liberal hate
- Is MSNBC good for America?
- Rush Limbaugh: MSNBC loony bin of uncontrollable rage and anger
- MSNBC's Chris Matthews: 'I’m so glad' Hurricane Sandy came and helped Obama win
- Hypocrisy: Chris Matthews says 'shuck and jive' racist, but used term 3 times
- Chris Matthews: Support for Romney driven by racial hatred of Obama
- MSNBC: Saying 'golf' and 'Chicago' is racist
- Yes, Virginia, there is a Democrat-media complex
- MSNBC's Chris Matthews: Satanic Newt Gingrich 'a political killer'
- MSNBC's Chris Matthews: Romney 'arrogant' to run against Obama
- MSNBC's Chris Matthews: Tea Party 'muggers' who assaulted Pres. Obama
- MSNBC's Chris Matthews: Rural Christian conservatives are 'backward'
- MSNBC's Chris Matthews: Newt Gingrich 'evil', looks like the Devil