If the shoe fits, one might say. (And if you’ve ever seen his nibs throw a ball, you know full well that the shoe fits.)
The observation that Obama is the first gay president, made over the weekend, is hardly novel, having been the cover story in Newsweek in May of 2012. The recognition of Obama’s homosexual bona fides followed his wholly non-politically motivated internal struggle with the question of whether gay marriage should be legalized. Obama came out (as it were) in favor same-sex unions and has been an advocate ever since.
So what prompted Roberts’s acknowledgment? It was, Noah Rothman of Mediaite writes, Obama’s support for “the rights of gays and lesbians abroad who face repression in their home countries who are less tolerant of alternative lifestyles.”
Given the many areas in which the U.S. has encoutnred [sic] friction with Russia, a country that has cracked down on the rights of same-sex individuals recently, Roberts asked a human rights advocate on Monday whether the president has any credibility in Moscow on the issue of human rights.
‘It’s Russia’s support for Syria, relationship in Iran, the current crisis in Ukraine, and also the protection of asylum granted to NSA leaker Edward Snowden,’ Roberts said of the areas creating tension between the U.S. and Russia.
‘How do you think the president can balance the delicate foreign policy issues but take a decisive stand on human rights, because so many people consider President Obama to be the first gay president?’ Roberts asked.
Roberts didn’t address the question of whether Obama — who was born to a white mother — is the first black president. Then again, he didn’t have to. Everyone knows that that title belongs to Bill Clinton.
- Waitress in anti-gay receipt flap has refunded some ‘sympathy donations’
- Wounded Warriors has no record of donation from lying lesbian waitress
- Who’s ready for gender-neutral pronouns?
- Waitress who lied about anti-gay note from customer was dishonorably discharged from Marines
- Hallmark rewrites lyric of popular Christmas carol to avoid offending … who?
- Universal Studios cancels gay Superman show
- Gay rights advocates in Israel want TV puppets to admit they’re gay
- Bert and Ernie ‘outed’ by New Yorker
- Jerry Brown signs bill to allow children more than two legal parents
- Bradley Manning: ‘I am Chelsea Manning, I am a female’
- Love story for the 21st century: Boy (formerly girl) meets girl (formerly boy)
- CA law lets transgender students use whichever school bathroom they like
- Man undergoes sex change, believes it was a mistake, switches back
- Kerry: Gay rights are ‘the very heart’ of U.S. diplomatic efforts world-wide
- University of Minnesota sponsors ‘unfair to be white’ campaign (Photos)