Aside from mentioning that Donald Trump once discussed Cruz’s Canadian citizenship with the Texas senator, Roberts provided no evidence to back up his claim, Jeffrey Meyer added.
"The Dallas Morning News reporting that Cruz has retained council to renounce his Canadian citizenship," Roberts said. "Now, just a refresher on his birth. He was born in Alberta and by Canadian law, automatically becomes a citizen. So, the paper brought it to his attention last August. Cruz says that it even came up when he met with real estate mogul Donald Trump. That was a recent meeting talking about where he was born. Because he gets Canadian citizenship."
"And Ted Cruz was certainly big on the birther movement," Roberts added.
There's only one problem. Cruz was not part of the movement that questioned the veracity of Obama's birth certificate.
No one on the panel with Roberts questioned the assertion. Instead, they simply nodded in agreement.
"Tired of using their usual attacks on the junior senator from Texas, the folks at the network have resorted to a new tactic, openly lying about his record on anti-Obama conspiracy theories," Meyer added.
Cruz aide Amanda Carpenter shredded the network for the false claim on Twitter.
"Feels like a slap in the face for even turning on the show hoping to see some decent, although lefty, political commentary," she tweeted.
"You're making it up," she told Roberts in another tweet. "Totally irresponsible."
"Decency and leftism never belong in the same sentence," one person told Carpenter.
"I wouldn't expect anything else from that network. Pathetic liars," another person said.
In January 2011, we said MSNBC is still the network of insane liberal hate. Now, it seems the network has decided truth is no longer relevant.
- MSNBC's Chris Matthews falsely claims Ted Cruz wants insurrection
- MSNBC still network of insane liberal hate
- Report: Ted Cruz stalker influenced by Democratic Party messaging
- Daily Beast contributor fantasizes about John McCain killing Ted Cruz in duel
- Will Dems, media condemn remarks that spawned death threat against Ted Cruz?
- Dem. Rep. Steve Cohen: Tea Party 'domestic enemies' we swore to defend against
- Media, Dems, RINOs responsible for threats against Sen. Ted Cruz
- Authorities investigating Twitter threat against Sen. Ted Cruz
If you like this article, you can follow Joe on Twitter @jnewby1956, visit and like his Facebook page, or subscribe to receive email updates when a new article is published.