Feb. 24, 2013, The Mozilla Firefox Blog made a huge announcement at the Mobile World Congress that Firefox OS will be brought to the first Firefox smartphone. This Firefox smartphone will be the world's first Open source Web Device.
Mozilla will now become a major contender in the smartphone wars with their new Firefox OS smartphone that will be brought to life by eighteen mobile providers. This new entry into the smartphone world shows users are ready for more than Android or Apple.
The breadth of operators now backing Mozilla’s Firefox OS demonstrates significant industry support for a fully-adaptable, unconstrained mobile platform.The first wave of Firefox OS devices will be available to consumers in Brazil, Colombia, Hungary, Mexico, Montenegro, Poland, Serbia, Spain and Venezuela. Additional markets will be announced soon. (Mozilla Blog).
The top highlights and differences a Mozilla Firefox OS smartphone brings:
- It includes all the major features like ease of use, calls, messaging, email, social media integration, and a camera that users expect in a smartphone.
- Firefox OS sets itself apart with contextual search that will bring you exactly to the content you are searching for on the web and within apps. The user searches for a favorite artist and their results are exact: to buy the artists favorite song, concert tickets, or stream any of the artists songs instantly.
- Enter any search term and create a one time use or downloadable app instantly. This new apps on demand feature puts the users in complete control of their apps and smartphone to retrieve the exact content whenever they want it.
- Firefox Marketplace where the users will find Firefox HTML 5 apps that will integrate across devices and mobile platforms.
- HTML 5 and HTML 5 apps are the future of the web. Firefox OS apps will be entirely built for HTML 5 web compatibility.
- Firefox OS open web platform will allow apps to be distributed from the developer directly to the user.
Firefox Marketplace can be previewed on Firefox for Android Aurora and will be offered with the first Firefox OS phones to launch later this year. (Mozilla Blog)"
It will be fascinating to watch once the Firefox OS smartphones are released to see if users will accept them into their world along with Samsung and Apple. Is their room at the top for Firefox to cement their smartphones as a top contender? Only time will tell us the story of the Firefox OS smartphone.