When you talk about leaving a legacy few will ever have the impact of the most famous of all Chinese philosophers. Although he lived two and a half millenniums ago Confucius (551 - 479 BC) is still a household word. His concepts ideas and quotes still inspire people around the world.
He is credited as the author or editor of many of the classic Chinese texts that helped form their culture. His belief of strong family units, respecting the elderly, remembering ancestors and respect within a marriage are still values held closely by today’s civilizations.
He also is credited for the concept of the Golden Rule, “Do not do unto others what you do not want done to you.”
His wisdom extended beyond interpersonal relationship skills. In fact he gave some of the best advice a job seeker should consider in selecting their next career move.
“Choose a job you love,” he said, “__________”. The blank can be filled in with one of the four choices below:
And you’ll never work a day in your life.
And find an expert to train you.
Or you will always be miserable.
But make sure it pays well.
To find the correct answer, click here.
These words from Confucius are extremely valuable to anyone contemplating their next career move. Yet its use does not end there. In coaching and mentoring relationships this is a valuable quote to spur thoughts about finding a way to focus on the aspects of a job that one really loves. By doing so, it is possible to dwell on the more enjoyable aspects of the job as opposed to concentrating on those pieces of the job that one does not like.
This is another installment of a series of quotes by past and present motivational leaders. These men and women have learned how to be very inspirational with sound snippets they can be easily remembered.
“The hunt for new job can be a very emotional time,” says Williams. “To remain confident in your abilities and positive in your attitude is important to focus on encouraging thoughts.”
This quote is also valuable for employee training programs or in coaching and mentoring situations.
This series is based on a motivational series from getmaximpact.com and is used by permission.
© Max Impact, used with permission.
- Michigan Works support centers offers job transition support.
- Lesson in interviewing, a tip of what you should not say to recruiters.
- How to write a killer resume.
- Pure Michigan Talent Connect - The official website for job hunters seeking new careers and employers looking to post jobs and hire employees in Michigan.
- Unemployment Insurance Agency - Manages unemployment taxes and insurance. Learn key job seeking information.
- Veterans Employment Services, information regarding Michigan jobs, careers and employment assistance for Veterans.
- Michigan Rehabilitation Services, Works with individuals with disabilities to prepare for and obtain employment.
- “How to Find a Job When There Are No Jobs”: a necessary job search book and career planning guide for surviving and prospering in today's hyper competitive job market.
- “301 Smart Answers to Tough Interview Questions”.
- “Your Social Media Job Search”: Use LinkedIn, Twitter, and other tools to get the job you want!
- “101 Weird Ways to Make Money”: Unusual jobs that produce good pay with little competition.