Looking for a TEA-rrific way to celebrate Mom this Mother’s Day? Treat mom to a tea party!
**Note: This party also works well as a Birthday Tea Party!**
Attach the following invitation to a tea bag: “Recipe for a Mother’s Day Tea Party. Ingredients: One special mommy & two cups of tea. Instructions: Gather all ingredients on (date) at (time). Mix ingredients at (name)’s house. Don’t forget to preheat with an RSVP.”
- Serve all foods on tiered and footed trays lined with white paper doilies
- Pink Lemonade served from a teapot into teacups
- Heart shaped sandwiches (cucumber and cream cheese, PBJ or any favorite filling) Hint: Use a cookie cutter to easily cut sandwiches into hearts.
- Small fruit kabobs on long toothpicks
- Cupcakes or petit fours
- Chocolate covered strawberries
- Floral tablecloths and paper goods
- Napkins tied with ribbons
- Tulle & ribbon tied into bows on chairs (Make the guest of honor's chair the most elaborate!)
- Flowers in posey vases tied with ribbons
- Vases: Paint small posey vases (or, reuse glass bottles) with acrylic paint and fill with flowers.
- Friendship Bracelets: Knot embroidery thread to create friendship bracelets for Mom.
- Picture Frames: Decorate frames with adhesive foam heart do-dads and jewels. Take a photo with Mom to fill the frame!
- Collage Cards: Set out a stack of magazines. Give each person a piece of cardstock folded in half, scissors and a glue stick. Cut out items that represent Mom to make her a collage on the outside of the card and write a heartfelt message inside.
ACTIVITIES & GAMES
- Guess What?: Have everyone fill out a questionnaire to guess all of mom’s favorites (ice cream, movie, animal, book, sport, etc.). Then, have mom give her answers and see who scores the highest!
- Mom’s Closet: Have a clothing relay with mom’s clothes! Or, if mom doesn’t want her clothes dirty, relay while balancing a teacup on each person’s head (Note: you may want to use a plastic tea cup not Grandma’s antique china!)
- Pin It on Mom: Alter “Pin the Tail on the Donkey” to pin an item on mom. Use a photo or drawing of mom and mark a target on her hand. Have each person draw something she loves to pin on…a coffee cup, a favorite purse, sunglasses, get creative.
- Charades: Play charades with a list of mom’s favorite movies, books, tv shows and stars.
- Don’t Forget Mom: Play a classic game of Memory Tray with mom’s favorite items from around the house. Show everyone the items for 30 seconds, then find out who can remember the most.
THE PERFECT GIFT!
Give mom a novel, cookbook, poetry book or coffee table book and have everyone trace their hand, write a message and sign the inside cover of the book as a special keepsake for Mom.
Or, visit one of these wonderful spots for tea in Orange County:
- Paris in a Cup (Orange)
- The Tea House on Los Rios (San Juan Capistrano)
- Olivia’s Dollhouse Tearoom (Tustin)
- Tea & Teacups (Yorba Linda)
- Traveling Tea (Tea parties that come to you!)
Find more tea ideas and information from The Tea Examiner
Want to Pep Up your parties? Just click on the “SUBSCRIBE” button above to receive email alerts when Alii’s latest articles are available.
Check out more party ideas in the Spring issue of Coast Kids Magazine