Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Mother of Jahi McMath still hopeful for daughters recovery

Jahi McMath
Jahi McMath
Jahi McMath

Nailah Winkfield, mother of Jahi McMath, is asking for prayer and still remains hopeful that her daughter will make a recovery.

“She’s still asleep. I don’t use the word ‘brain dead’ for my daughter. I’m just waiting and faithful that she will have a recovery. She is blossoming into a teenager before my eyes.”

Winkfield says Jahi is “now moving her head side to side, something she hadn’t done before.”

“No matter how many times you position her to the right or in the middle, she always ends up on the left side,” Winfield said. “She will reposition herself over and over if she is uncomfortable.”

Jahi McMath is the 13 year old who on December 9, 2013 went in the hospital for surgery to aid in her sleep apnea condition. Due to complications following the surgery, the teen suffered massive blood loss resulting in cardiac arrest.

On December 12, 2013, her doctors declared her brain-dead, her family was informed that as she was legally dead, and life support systems would be removed. A legal battle ensued due to Jahi's family objecting her removal from the ventilator.

In January, Judge Evelio Grillo honored the request of the family for Jahi to be removed and placed in another facility as long as she assumed full responsibility.

Sam Singer, hospital spokesperson, disagreed with the ruling.

“We have done everything to assist the family of Jahi McMath in their quest to take the deceased body of their daughter to another medical facility,” he said three months ago. Singer told reporters that Dolan is “perpetuating a sad and tragic hoax on the public and the McMath family. Tragically, this young woman is dead, and there is no food, no medical procedures and no amount of time that will bring back the deceased.”

Jahi McMath's case is similar to the legal battle involving Terri Schiavo.

Schiavo collapsed in her St. Petersburg, Florida, home in full cardiac arrest on February 25, 1990. She was diagnosed by doctors as being in a persistent vegetative state. Her husband wanted to terminate life support but her parents did not. The legal battle went on seven years but resulted in the end of support for Terri.

Report this ad