Police arrested and charged a Tenn. mother whose one-year-old son got a hold of and eventually overdosed on the mother’s Suboxone, a drug commonly used in addiction recovery to treat addiction to opiates.
Making a bad situation even worse, the 20-year-old mother, Emilie Rothert of Kingsport, Tenn., waited for more than an hour and a half after the toddler ingested the drugs to get him to the hospital, according to WBTW.
On the evening of Oct. 25, Rothert called poison control to report her son’s situation; and she was informed over the phone to get the boy to the ER immediately.
Instead of making a frantic dash to the closest emergency room though, the mother waited for over an hour and a half before finally taking the baby to a nearby fire station.
Firefighters from the station in Kingsport contacted the Kingston Police Department. When police arrived at the fire station, the one-year-old “was vomiting and showing signs of an overdose.”
The mother told the officers that a cat must have knocked the Suboxone from the window sill in the room where she was laying her son down to sleep, and when she left the room briefly that some of the pills must have fallen within reach of the toddler.
The Kingsport Times-News reported:
Rothert told police the bottle had contained three pills, but she only found two and one-third of the 8 milligram doses on the floor. She put her son back to bed, and he soon began to vomit. Rothert then said she "started thinking" he had ingested a portion of the pill.
Children's Services in Kingsport is conducting an investigation.
Before transporting the mother to jail, police asked her to consent to a drug screening, which she refused.
Police charged Emilie Rothert with child abuse and neglect, after they arrested her on Oct. 25.
To receive e-mail alerts to Richard's Domestic Crimes articles, Subscribe Here to Get Instant Updates.
E-mail alerts are free, private and secure, and you won't get any ink on your fingers.